Fuji About to pull the trigger on a Billingham for XT1 and X100S. Need some opinions.

theyog

Rookie
Hi everybody,

I am about to purchase my first serious camera bag (my current one is on its last legs) and I was stuck between the Hadley Small and Hadley Pro. I am currently carrying an X100S (no hood) and an XT1, 56mm, 35, 10-24 lenses. In addition to some SD cards, batteries etc.

My concern with the Hadley Small is that it will be too small. I don't mind lens stacking so I can probably stack the 35 on the 56 horizontally/vertically, the XT1 with 10-24 on it's side, and the X100S up against the corner lens facing in.

My issue with the Hadley Pro is that it will be too deep and I don't want to pay for more bag than I really need. I see people using foam blocks so that their gear isn't too deep in the bag.

It would be an amazing coincidence if someone on this forum carries the same kit, or close to it, with a version of the Hadley Small/Pro and would be willing to snap a few photos of the bag packed up. In the interim, if people who have used both bags could share some opinions it would be a big help. I live outside the USA so this will be a sight unseen buy, but I am familiar with Billingham when one of my photographer friends came for a visit with this Hadley Large.

Cheers

Well, I don't have exactly the same kit, but I have had a Hadley Pro for the past 15 years or so... I would advocate the Pro for two key reasons. First, although a bit bigger, it is not much heavier than the small. Second, and critically, it has a sturdy grab handle, the usefulness of which I cannot understate. The Pro also takes an amazing range of stuff - plus the AVEA 3 and 5 end pockets, which make for a heavy overall setup but great for travelling, then lightening up by leaving stuff in the hotel safe at your destination. The Pro also has a full-length rear zipped pocket which is waterproof and ideal for travel documents.

I have used this bag for many different cameras and lenses over the years - like so:

18269647.c335da7f.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kit 1 par Lightmancer, on ipernity

...and they take a lot of punishment!

34098241.9aa5b8e8.1024.jpg

Fiskardo Kefalonia Billingham Hadley Pro X Pro 1 par Lightmancer, on ipernity

The Hadley Small is too small for your needs.
57f1bfa93de2f1eeafddaacb720179b7.jpg

That's a X100s, a 56mm in the middle and an X-Pro1 with a 35mm on it. You will struggle to find room to add the 10-24 (I know, I rented one).

Jason

Hadley Pro everytime for the very reasons mentioned above. A superb bag which exudes class and style and manages to carry a remarkable amount of gear.

I cannot comment on your exact requirements but in mine I carry an X-T1 with a 18-55mm, an X-Pro1 with a 35mm, a 55-200mm and a 27mm lens. The pockets hold spare batteries, an EF-20 flash and a selection of cleaning kit stuff. Plus, an IPad in the rear pocket.

The beauty of the Hadley Pro is that you can carry less should you wish using the velcro dividers but you can never carry more in the Hadley Small.

One other thing. You will find that the insert in the Hadley Pro is really useful for putting in other bags. I have two inserts, and the other currently resides in a £25 waxed cotton "messenger bag" bought from a high-street retailer. This is so not a camera bag it is untrue, and I have a couple along the same lines - discreet, and because of their design, actually quite handy for holding things like a spare jumper or a book. I have also used it in a leather briefcase - goes with a suit ;)

Whatever you do, make sure you get yourself a shoulder pad. The newly redesigned SP40 is excellent, and I have one on my ONA Brixton "briefcase" as well (the ONA shoulder pads are beloved only of osteopaths...)

Thanks for all the replies, you kind folks just saved me a lot of money and disappointment since it looks like the Hadley Small would indeed be too small for my needs. Plus, as mentioned the handle and zip pocket alone are probably worth the increase in size.

I'll just have to find a way to solve the 'too deep' problem for the pro insert.

Cheers

Back