Micro 4/3 Across the seas with the LX100

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Well not very far across the seas to be honest, the 30 minute crossing to the Isle of Wight, but still new territory for me and my good lady wife.

One of the highlights of the IoW is Osborne House which you may or may not know was the home of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. I have to say it is completely bonkers. Such a mixture of architectural and decorative styles, with a distinct tinge of the Germanic about it (unsurprisingly).

27058113256_1523fd43bb_b.jpg

Osborne House exterior
by Martin Connolly, on Flickr

27058105276_beb9fed6c9_b.jpg

Osborne House painting

You can see Portsmouth in the distance on this one (if you really want to)
26996963462_db14b75a5c_b.jpg

Osborne view towards Solent

The visit route leaves the best room until last:
26996961852_aecc691544_b.jpg

Osborne House Durbar Room

I loved the museum of oddities collected by the royals, such as this one:
27091288485_65432ea225_b.jpg

Osborne Swiss Cottage Museum

Some other shots - first from the town of Ventnor:
26485888864_899023b879_b.jpg

Ventnor Haven #2

27023341101_c329a3b2c5_b.jpg

Ventnor Haven #3

Bluebell woods in Mottistone Estate:
27023081121_35ae660de5_b.jpg

Woods at Mottistone Estate

and the lifeboat at Yarmouth Harbour:
27058127446_b9473a5abb_b.jpg

Yarmouth Lifeboat

thanks for the tour Martin. Why is it so often the case that the more money one has, the more garish one's taste becomes?
There does seem to be quite a correlation, it's true. I must say after visiting Osborne House I now look back on Neuschwanstein as a model of restraint! It was fascinating all the same. I'll add some more images in the general travel forum that I took with the LX100 and TZ60.

I went on a school trip to the Isle of Wight when I was about twelve, and Osborne House was one of the places we visited. I don't think stately homes are all that interesting to 12-year-old boys - we preferred the lifeboats, dinosaurs (Blackgang Chine) and lighthouses and re-enacting historical battles at Carisbrooke Castle. I think I would enjoy Osborne House more now.

I like the idea of presenting the Queen with a pair of hand grenades. That must have been an interesting moment.

-R

It was probably a bit tacky in the 70s when I went there, but I remember it being one of our better days out (others not mentioned earlier were a visit to a working farm and to a cosmetics factory, so the bar wasn't set that high). I can remember a steep valley with tall trees and winding paths you could run around and life-size model dinosaurs to climb on. Not bad when you're twelve.

-R

It was probably a bit tacky in the 70s when I went there, but I remember it being one of our better days out (others not mentioned earlier were a visit to a working farm and to a cosmetics factory, so the bar wasn't set that high). I can remember a steep valley with tall trees and winding paths you could run around and life-size model dinosaurs to climb on. Not bad when you're twelve.

-R
Wouldn't sound too bad when you're 54 either, if the dodgy joints would allow it!! Actually we walked a very great deal in 2 and a half days, maybe dinosaur climbing on top of that would have been over ambitious...

Back