Adapted Adapted lenses, any make, for any camera

Many years ago, I bought an Olympus EM-10 to take to Ireland instead of a Nikon D800 and D750. I had played around with an Olympus EPL-1 with the kit lens 14-32mm. I bought a cheaper Oly 40-150 f/5.6, a Sigma 60mm 2.8, and a Panasonic 25mm 1.8 and this was my outfit. My wife lugged the two Nikons with 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70 2.8, and a 50mm 1.8. Along with batteries, chargers, and other stuff, her bag was always full and heavy. Not to be bragging, but I thought the color in mine was better than her Nikons. After we returned, she decided that we needed better Olympus and we started to sell off the Nikon gear. We started out with OMD EM1s and graduated to EM1 iis, EM1X and OM-1. Lots of lenses were also bought for the Olympus system, pro lenses.
The EM-10 generally sits on the cabinet shelf but today, I grabbed it, my Nikon to Olympus adapter, and the very old Nikon 135mm 3.5 lens. I was mainly interested in whether my old eyes would be able to do a good job focusing with a manual lens. I was surprised at these shots today.

P1010471.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1010478.jpg
P1010483.jpg
P1010482.jpg

Two images from my fist outing yesterday with a newly acquired OM Zuiko 50mm F1.8, one colour with aperture closed down to about F8, the other B&W & wide open which, as Brian says, essentially pushes any lens to its design limit, just to see for myself. In terms of OM lenses I can only compare it against my other Zuiko, the 50mm F3.5 Macro, a very nice lens (I started a thread on that somewhere here). Both lenses have the same temperature that swings to the blue rather than yellow side and more of a purple as opposed to green tint. I have to say, the F3.5 is the easily the optically sharper and ‘correct’ lens of the two (no surprise given it’s a macro?) but that doesn’t matter to me as the F1.8 renders more pleasant images to my taste. I have quite a few old lenses which I adapt to my Z6, they are all wonderful, and it’s clear that they’re not all the same; these Zuikos, like the others, definitely have their own signature. All part of the fun in this adapting lenses escapade. Can’t be bad for the 20 pounds cost.
DSC_2717 copy OM18.jpg
DSC_2731.jpg

Although not demonstrated here, the lens has the advantage over a rangefinder of a 0.45mm MFD so I’ll try to get out and see how that performs.

Last edited:
The first shot with the OM Zuiko 50mm F1.8 is at 0.45 MFD - as you can see there's no bokeh of any description other than just blown out background. However I did find amongst one of my shots one that did have display a little bit, as per the second image, albeit I'm pretty sure that wasn't at MFD. This may be as good as it gets in that regard however I'll give this another go at night next week.
DSC_2762 copy.jpg
DSC_2734 copy OM 18 copy.jpg

I pulled my Olympus OM-D EM10 out of semi-retirement and slapped on the Nikon to m43 converter on a very old Nikon 135mm 3.5 lens. My old eyes generally do not do well with manual focus but some of our flowers had just been through a rain storm and still had water drops on them so I said "Why not" and this is what I got.

P1010001.jpg
P1010007.jpg
P1010011.jpg

53004290146_37ae17155e_o.jpg

Soligor 28mm 2.8, my copy is in Minolta SR mount. One of these lenses that someone gives you when you buy something else and they just want to give you a "bonus". First time I ever shot with this one, probably had it for 5 years or so now. Probably going to be a while before I take it out again. It's fine, I guess. Just nothing amazing and worth seeking it out.

View attachment 396677

Soligor 28mm 2.8, my copy is in Minolta SR mount. One of these lenses that someone gives you when you buy something else and they just want to give you a "bonus". First time I ever shot with this one, probably had it for 5 years or so now. Probably going to be a while before I take it out again. It's fine, I guess. Just nothing amazing and worth seeking it out.
Nearly as good as a Holga lens, Ron ...

Soligor weren't exactly renowned for producing high quality optics ...

Back