Fuji Adapter, lens hood, filters: how to and more

OK, I got my adapter and hood. Well, conforming to my old ways, I also purchased a 49 MRC UV filter to protect things... Now I'm thinking I'm a bit nuts. How much protection does one need? Without the filter, I can remove the hood and screw on the little metal lens cap I bought (thanks to Rich, at your suggestion).

Ray, you always have a filter on...with your handy dandy methods.

Don is always naked, well his lenses are anyway.;) Rich, you go free and clear too, right - no filters for you, correct? Dan? David? Armando? Jono? Bill? Landshark? Craig? Everyone, and anyone who I might have missed, what do you all do?

Hi BB,
I'm a "filter fellow" but only with good glass such as B+W. It makes no sense to me to put a junky piece of glass in front of the a fine piece of optical engineering. I don't mind wiping down a filter with a clean micro cloth and a blow of breath on the filter but I would get really nervous if I did the same to the front element of a lens. 'Just my thoughts. Good luck.
. . . David

Well, for anyone who is still on the fence or considering a filter... I ended up with a B&W UV MRC slim filter...which just happens to come with a plastic lens cap that sticks right on, and the whole thing will still fit inside the Fuji case. Now depending upon how uptight I am, I'm covered for a bunch of different situations. I guess I like to be prepared.;)

I assume that a filter attaches to the inside of the adapter by 49mm thread and the hood attaches to the outside of the adapter by bayonet fix. This means a 49mm lens cover would still attach to the filter - am I correct?
Do you need an ultra-thin filter (I favour B+W) to avoid vignetting?
Is the hood visible in the OVF?

The filter does indeed attach to the adapter, and the lens hood kind of turns on to the outside of the adapter - and connects via these slits in the lens hood that lock on to the adapter.

First what I did was follow Russ's advice - very good advice. I bought a screw on 49mm lens cap to use directly on the adapter - without having a filter. Next being a worrier, I thought more about getting a filter - even if I didn't end up using it all the time. I read about the idea of a slim filter on some other website, with the idea being that one could still fit the camera in the Fuji carrying case... So that's why I went that route. I'm a little bit nuts sometimes.;) Now I feel as though I am covered for all eventualities - even though Don and some others swear by naked lenses. With this slim B&W MRC UV filter, the screw on lens cap does not fit...but, as mentioned, it came with its own - which is actually very nice because you just push it on and it stays. In addition, the original Fuji lens cap will also work with the slim filter and feels secure.

Yes, you can see the lens hood, just a tiny bit with the OVF but it hasn't bothered me at all.

I've been reading on DPR how the small triangular spring ring has been cutting into the lugs so I ordered some alternative Olympus Clips from the States - still to arrive.
Meanwhile I discovered a pack of 4 Mini QD Loops made by OpTech and they're ideal to connect the camera to the Neck Strap. The added advantage is that they remove easily to be replaced by a Wrist Strap.

Well, for anyone who is still on the fence or considering a filter... I ended up with a B&W UV MRC slim filter...which just happens to come with a plastic lens cap that sticks right on, and the whole thing will still fit inside the Fuji case. Now depending upon how uptight I am, I'm covered for a bunch of different situations. I guess I like to be prepared.;)

I've been thinking about having a filter for protection, and that I really want a pinch cap with a tether. I'm tired of holding the metal stock one in one hand or having to stash it in the case. Could someone describe the cap that comes with these slim B&W filters? Could it be tethered?

Back