Fuji Adapter, lens hood, filters: how to and more

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
So I ordered the lens hood and adapter. I figured it would offer me some good protection while walking around in the warm weather months when I expect to have the X100 out and about on my shoulder.

Rather than did through some great threads for some of the tips and how to's, I thought I'd fall upon your mercies...and ask us all to share info right in here.

I remember David that you had some trouble at first fitting things on, but it did work out... Ray, you have this set up don't you? Or Burkey... Rich, are you using yours yet, I recall you had a nice little set up with a screw lens cap that you were planning to employ.

I also ordered a UV filter, much to I know Don/Streetshooter's dismay...since he prefers his lenses naked.;)

David,
You must have gotten that idea from Nic.
He suggested to me to use a hammer and chisel on my fstops on my FD lenses.
Then just chisel some new marks for the crop factor.
It worked but the hammer drill didn't...

The filter had glass so thick that the amount of force needed to break it was incredible. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have done it while it mounted on the camera. :laugh1:
And on serious note - Ya know, I didn't think the half-stop thing was going to be a problem but I sure do miss making that kind of adjustment.
. . . David

Don,
Are you referring to reversing the hood for storage? I used to have a Nikon F, (remember the old "photomic heads"), that I would flip the hood around making easier to fit in a bag. I just tried the vented hood I got off from the da' Bay and it wouldn't reverse. 'Hope that helps.
. . . David

Oh, I mean just about anything, David. I remember David/Soundimagesplus talking about how it was hard to get the adapter/lens hood on...but then he did... And I remember Rich M., mentioning a kind of cool way of using the camera... So I'm basically looking for any and all ideas and comments. Mine is still en route, so I'm just trying to get myself prepared.;)

Sorry da Bay version wouldn't reverse.:sad010:

I figured if I took the time to make the temporary solution work the real version would suddenly show up so here's hoping B&H comes through soon. However, this set-up fits in the bag I usually use on a daily basis, (Domke F10 Medium), so I'm pretty happy with it.
Domke-F10.jpg

. . . David

That's a very comfy looking bag set up, David. I've never seen a Domke in real life or even in such a good interior photograph. No wonder so many people swear by them.

The F10 is the only Domke I've had that has the interior padding sewn in. It has a zippered compartment on the front too, a great place to stow stuff. I like to have the camera ready to use so because of the hood and UV filter protecting the lens, I leave the lens cap at home.
Domke F-10 JD Medium Shoulder Bag (Sand) 700-00S B&H Photo Video
Quite frankly I use it as much as a "boy bag/man purse" - (glasses, iPhone, pen, etc.) as a camera bag.;)
For traveling I've become a fan of the Billingham Hadley Pro - great for multiple cameras/lens etc. and it will hold an iPad in a padded compartment in the back of the bag.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469911-REG/Billingham_505248_Hadley_Pro_Shoulder_Bag.html
. . . David

BB - what a bummer.:( I cancelled my original order for the hood and adapter from B&H. They refunded my money very quickly. The one from JE was a little bit more but certainly worth the money. 'Just a friendly suggestion - you might want to shoot Dirk an email to see if he got more than just the one for me. It took him a couple of days to get one into their store. Good luck.
. . . David

Thanks David. I've put in an email inquiry...and will see what happens from the place that I have ordered from. I know it was sent... I don't want to deal with returning something overseas, if I don't have to, you know? I'll be a bit more patient and see what response I get. I'll definitely keep your source in mind, however!(y)

BB....you don't have your hood/adapter yet??? Hasn't it been weeks?

I have been using mine this way....I permanently removed the Fuji cap and retaining ring.........and permanently leave the bayonet adapter on. I purchased a 49mm black metal threaded cap and that's now my cap.

It all still fits nicely in the Fuji case. I carry the hood in it's little velvet carrying pouch (I think the pouch is what drove up the price.........NOT) and use it as situation dictates.

Seems to work fine for me........R

I know, I know... Well the place says it shipped on 5/10, but then tracking says it shipped from Hong Kong on 5/16...and so it goes.

I like the sound of your set up, Rich. So no filter, just the threaded cap? I'm sure it will make more sense to me when I see it in real life - which will hopefully be soon.:hail:

Another super-inexpensive "hood" solution (doesn't really look like a hood but I think it should serve the same purpose and should protect the lens a bit) that I just read about and, having the spare parts lying about, tried. Just pop the glass out of a couple of 49mm UV filters (unless you actually want to stick a UV filter in front of your lens, in which case just pop the glass out of one and leave it in the second), and screw them onto the front of the X100 lens with the little protector ring off. Then, if you like the smooth feel and look of the protector ring, you can screw that on the end of the "hood". And a 46mm pincher lens cap will work - I'm borrowing the one from my Panasonic 20 at the moment. I had these two filters laying around so my investment at this point is zilch. I suppose if I buy a proper lens cap for it, so I can return this one to the Pany, it'll cost a couple of dollars. I just can't see spending $120 of whatever they cost for an adapter ring and hood that makes it tough to fit the camera into a case. On top of which, I could already see the basic lens in the bottom corner of the OVF, I can see this setup a lot more - I think the actual full lens hood could be really distracting, obscuring a good sized chunk of the OVF frame. I think this should work. If you do wan to leave a UV filter in for added protection, make sure you leave the glass in the one mounted farthest from the lens. My understanding is if you mount a filter directly to the lens this way, the lens can hit the filter in the process of focussing and moving about and that wouldn't be something you'd want.

-Ray

A couple of pics:

P1000862.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1000864.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back