Sony Adapter M39 (LTM, LSM, L39) > E-mount (Sony NEX)

elroos

Regular
Can anyone recommend an adapter for Leica screw mount lenses to Sony NEX E-mount? I am looking for a good quality adapter that keeps the lens well centered (aperture and distance scale) on the camera and that has no problems with infinity focusing.
I have a Voigtlander adapter for Leica M > E-mount which is very good but they don't seem to make one for Leica screw mount.
Thanks!

You don't really need a separate one for Leica screw mount, just get a screw mount to M adapter and use two adapters. It'll work. Voigtlander makes nice ones.

Thanks Rich and deirdre. Yes, using the LSM > M adapter in a M > NEX adapter is another option, but if it's possible to avoid stacking adapters I would prefer that.

That's what I thought, too, but the LSM -> M43 adapter's larger, so it takes up more space (and so would the NEX one be), and is thus more annoying to me to carry around than an extra LSM -> M adapter. Thus, I've simply bought LSM -> M adapters for all my screw-mount lenses and leave the adapters on all the time (except for the 135mm because it has a specific case where the adapter won't fit).

I've seen others do that - buy a threaded mount adapter (LTM -> M adapter) for each lens - to get all their lenses to M mount; might make sense if one had a mix of LTM / M mount lenses.

If you did go this route, one advantage would be you could purchase a single M -> E mount adapter and quickly mount any of your lenses. I really like the Hawk M-NEX (available from the maker off eBay) adapter as it includes an internal helicoid which allows you to close focus with your adapted rangefinder lenses.

For example, the minimum focus distance for my ZM 25/2.8 is 0.5m. Here's an example shot of my kid's messy desk, helicoid collapsed (normal):

20111127-DSC01172.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With the helicoid extended fully, the MFD drops to about three or four finger widths from the front of the lens to the subject -- say about 6cm or so. That's quite an improvement from 0.5 meters, all the way down to 0.06 meters!

20111127-DSC01173.jpg

This makes any M (or adapted LTM -> M) lens just that more useful. I leave my Hawk's mounted on the NEX-5N all the time except when using a native E mount lens. The Hawk adapter is ~ 179 if I recall correctly.

A ZM 35/2 mounted on the Hawk adapter, collapsed, is on the right, compared to a static Contax/Yahsica adapter with a 50/2 Yashica kit lens of the day.

20111106-_Z067115.jpg

Expanded:

20111106-_Z067113.jpg

It is well built. The helicoid ring does not accidentally turn while focussing the M lens. You can actually focus using the helicoid if you wish - the movement is smooth enough and sometimes I do this.

20111106-_Z067125.jpg

My copy is accurate with my lens's infinity stops and I've not read any other Hawk user having problems with infinity. Some M-NEX adapter (and indeed ??-NEX adapters in general) have problems with this, often allowing focus past infinity, probably "to be safe".

Thanks adanac. That is very useful information! The relative long MFD of rangerfinder lenses has always been a downside of these lenses to me. I didn't know there were adapters that solved this problem. Very interesting. I suppose it works as a kind of extension ring. I will investigate the Hawk further and propably order one. Thanks again!

My pleasure elroos.

I was turned on to this adapter by other M lens users exploiting the NEX as their digital 'back'. While it seemed expensive, it is priced around the same as the static Voigtlander adapter, and is far less than the static Novoflex. Probably both those latter adapters are even better built / use nicer looking materials, but they don't offer the close focus improvement of the Hawk.

I've used the Hawk adapter for some time now and it's great. I can really recommend it. Especially for the middle FL's (35 and 50) the MFD is drastically reduced.
As for the M39 > E mount I will use a screw mount to M adapter in an M > NEX adapter.
Thanks all for your help!

I stack them. The screwmount to M adapters never leave my screwmount lenses. Plus, they are such a pain in the butt to unscrew. So I just use a M to E mount adapter. Or I used to use anyway (given that I don't have a NEX anymore). Because the screwmount to M adapters are so thin, it really doesn't add to the size at all.

Back