Adios Adobe

Myself I'm heavily leaning towards DXO, once they update to include RAWs for the Ricoh GRIII I'm going to try and test the software, and if it handles those files as well as it does M4/3, I might jump. I have just stuck with LR's last physical release, so no cloud cancellation necessary (and the software will stay installed if needed).

Well done, I tried but I just can't do it even though my computer is now to old for the most up to date desktop version and Lightroom in their wisdom have left only LR6 available to us loyal followers :(

I actually just started a subscription to CC after many years of considering it the devil's work. For traveling and editing on the go it is unbeatable, which is what i need. Also the subscription model is far from cheap, but much easier on my cashflow than the significant purchase prices of DxO or Capture One. And the image quality might not quite match DxO (which really wrings the last little drop of IQ and color out of raw files), my old LR4 was already good enough to get photos printable at up to 80cm / 36 inches wide... Bonuses like panorama stitching are nice to have because i do have a use for that occasionally.

For traveling and editing on the go it is unbeatable
Is this because you're using Adobe to also host your images (so you an access them from any device) or because of how easy it is to get to the tools on any device (while still hosting the images locally)?

My $9.99/mth plan with Adobe is still active but I just can't bring myself to using them for hosting as opposed to keeping stuff on a SAN at the house.

Also the subscription model is far from cheap, but much easier on my cashflow
Ah, the gentle poison of monthly charges. It's everywhere, and really puts a hurt on people's ability to mobilize, make life changes and have liquidity. I've tried to get further away from a paycheck that is devoted to monthly charges, but it's hard to eliminate them completely.

Ah, the gentle poison of monthly charges. It's everywhere, and really puts a hurt on people's ability to mobilize, make life changes and have liquidity. I've tried to get further away from a paycheck that is devoted to monthly charges, but it's hard to eliminate them completely.
Lately I've been going down that route as well of examining all of my monthly charges. When I was a younger man I used to use Quicken to methodically track my expenses but in recent years I've gotten lax about it so now extraneous charges don't bubble up to the top like they used to.

Lately I've been going down that route as well of examining all of my monthly charges. When I was a younger man I used to use Quicken to methodically track my expenses but in recent years I've gotten lax about it so now extraneous charges don't bubble up to the top like they used to.
I've still got a ways to go but settling for older smartphones bought outright has done wonders for the cellular bill. Entertainment is relatively low. Many monthly subscription type services can also be paused.

I'm in the very lucky position that I have my absolute dream job, so no desire to make major changes to the income side of my life for at least the upcoming 10 years - although i could see myself doing this job for another 30 years as well.

I am also in the lucky position to have 3 months of holiday coming up in a few months time, which will be used for a "once in a decade" type backpacking trip. But after buying a house and paying for a wedding, my savings are depleted, so the subscription model really does serve my needs better than a 200 or 300 euro instant expense. By the time my travels are over, i will have spent 78 euros on LR, rather than 200 on DxO or 300 on Capture One. So I will have another 122 to 222 euros to spend on my trip. After that, my financial buffer will stabilize, i wont have such a pressing need for editing images on the go, and I might well choose another program for editing.

Kevin: unbeatable for travel (for me) because of the cloud storage serving as off site backup (so if i get robbed i still have my images), and because i can edit synchronized images both on my phone and on my tablet. I can upload images to my phone, do an early edit while on the bus if there's nothing interesting to see outside, do maybe a final edit and publish on the tablet when i arrive, and have more time to spend being in the moment at interesting locations.

I found myself stuck with adobe, at least for photoshop. I tried Affinity for nearly a year. And will still recommend it without hesitation to anyone. For me, it came down to two things. In portrait editing, I haven't been able to fully duplicate how I want the image to look in other photo editors. And second, if there is something I need to learn how to do, ie making a lightsaber, there are hundreds of youtube instructional videos. Opposed to next to nothing for Affinity.

I'm considering whether to upgrade C1 on the next version. Or just stay all adobe since I have the subscription anyway and save some money. Not that we have figured out how to edit in Lr without the artifacts. And adobe has it working at usable speeds again. Lr is a good option for me. But, C1 always seems to be a bit better with the Fuji files. So, maybe I'll just flip a quarter?

I've just cancelled my 1TB photography plan with Adobe. I've found an alternative and cheaper if slightly less elegant approach, using Apple Photos as the way to get iPad and Macbook in sync. Editing is either in Photos on the Macbook, with special treatment in Luminar or the Nik products. Editing on the iPad in Snapseed. Printing from Macbook using ICC profiles in Capture One Express. All products either free or already owned in perpetuity, so I'm saving £240 over the next year.

My problem is I find the library features in LR just so much easier to use and more complete than ANYTHING I've tried, and I use them pretty much every time I go into LR. I don't like the subscription model but I would subscribe if (and it's a big if) they would add a minimum subscription or buy out to maintain full application functionality.

Until then I'm hanging on to 6.14 and trying new release demos.

Back