Adios DPReview

After eight years I finally deleted my dpReview account.

I have always tried to be civil and helpful, but when folks start to attack you for that it feels time to move on.

I am glad that this corner of the internet has avoided that particular behaviour.
True that. Even though we have brand sub forums, the gear threads don’t dominate the forum. The image threads do.

I left it years and years ago, had all of my posts deleted. Left in disgust.

Now, I actually made a new account, but I rarely post. My posts are almost totally limited to providing help and tips in the Ricoh subforum, since I have a lot of experience with the GR line. I sometimes feel a bit of pique at something someone posts there, but I generally remember good sense before hitting the submit button and abandon whatever I was formulating.

I still have an account there, but haven't posted for coming up for three years. That's after posting there from 2007 to 2020!

The trolling there quite possibly contributed to the death of Olympus, and my personal team of trolls nearly caused me to quit photography completely. They turned a lifelong love into a depressing sickness.

What wonderful human beings, if one can refer to them as such ...

One of the first posts I had seen there was a bit toxic so I never signed up. The threads were just out of this world. Those members need a lot of loving.

I didn't sign-up to mu-43 as well as I am more of a fan of brand-agnostic places like this forum.

DPReview archive.JPG

PetaPixel also have an article here To Save its Content, Archive Team is Attempting to Back Up All of DPReview

This forum is a gear melting pot, with the emphasis on using the gear to make images. It was formed out of a number of gear-specific and sensor format specific forums. Amin, the original owner, merged all of his forums except mu-43.com and Nikon Cafe into this one. All of the forums had Showcases for gear, lenses, cameras, etc. All of the format sites had forums for showing images taken. Many forums of the individual sites were collapsed and merged. When you click on "Forums" you get a mix of gear-specific and image oriented forums. The gear-specific forums tend to be much more broad than from the old forums.

DPReview is gear-oriented, and has forums for brand, format, mount, etc. This resulted in a lot of cliques, with troll wars often occurring when members invaded other's territory. It was tolerated, and got tiring.

Like every culture, Web Forums tend to have their own that evolves as the forum matures.

Some people have a hard time adapting to the change.

This forum has members that use most every type of camera, lens mount, and format. Many of us have multiple systems, and have bought into them after seeing examples posted by other members. It is a chance to learn something new, have questions answered by members that have decades of experience, and to show your work without being insulted about the equipment you use.

Last edited:
Amin, the original owner, merged all of his forums except mu-43.com and Nikon Cafe into this one. All of the forums had Showcases for gear, lenses, cameras, etc. All of the format sites had forums for showing images taken. Many forums of the individual sites were collapsed and merged. When you click on "Forums" you get a mix of gear-specific and image oriented forums. The gear-specific forums tend to be much more broad than from the old forums.
Actually there is one more that was never merged, Sony-specific talkemount.com which is still barely breathing since it was sold. I am still a moderator over there. Quite a few of the regulars over there moved in whole or in part to this place.

This forum has members that use most every type of camera, lens mount, and format. Many of us have multiple systems, and have bought into them after seeing examples posted by other members. It is a chance to learn something new, have questions answered by members that have decades of experience, and to show your work without being insulted about the equipment you use.
I do like visiting system-specific sites in that I like to see what can be done with gear I have or could use with my existing system of choice. But the non-brand subject forums here focus (no pun intended) on photography itself. And there is more in common across systems than all the fanboys out there would be willing to admit. Not everything is my cup of tea, and I do think some brands do lend themselves or attract certain types of photographers, but that is ok. No doubt others would have similar feeling for things I might post. I am gradually learning what places here I want to browse through, or conversely do not. It's all good, and I can get the wheels in my head thinking about things I might not otherwise consider.

Amin had a few other forums as well- the ZIforums, shut down. mu-43.com started out as an SLR forum, Amin saw the new mu43 format and switched the domain name, kept the threads intact. It was not old at the time. He had an Audio forum- not sure what happened to it. This is all going back 15+ years now.

Back