Adobe Releases Public Beta of Lightroom 4.

FINALLY the ability to modify individual RGB curves instead of only the tone curve! This has been, to me, by far the greatest omission in LR3... Also the option to apply noise reduction and white balance locally is pretty interesting!

I'm definitely going to download this! Too bad they probably won't release the final version while I'm still a student, but alas :)

Looks pretty good but the video bit looks pretty awesome. I love the way you can add effects/presets to the video. I hope it's a free upgrade but i think it probably won't be :(

One 411MB download later ... first thing I noticed was the replacement of Exposure/Recovery/Fill Light/Blacks/Brightness/Contrast with Exposure/Contrast/Highlights/Shadows/Whites/Blacks

This is a more significant announcement than any number of Fujis, Canons or whatever.

I've been playing with this all day now and it is a great upgrade. LR4 retains much of LR 3 - all that you have learned will not need to be relearned - but adds some excellent new features. Video and mapping is of no interest to me but will be a boon for those who are into those features. For those who print seriously, the soft proofing feature looks both comprehensive and easy to use.

The changes in the develop module are also for the better: more options in the graduated filter and adjustment brush and, three cheers and more, they have finally got rid of the exposure/brightness/fill light mess and come up with a more rational and sensible approach. According to M Reichmann in his introductory video, quoting from an Adobe engineer, the new approach in the Basic panel is designed to reflect some underlying changes in how LR handles files. As noted the Tone Curve panel can now apply changes on individual RGB channels - great change.

The other big new feature for me is the ability to design books (in partnership with blurb) from within LR.

Andy, this will not be a free upgrade. If you already have LR 3 my guess is you'll pay $100 for this. If you are buying from scratch $300. However, bearing in mind that much of the discussion on these forums in recent days has concerned $1500 cameras and $600 lenses, LR is a bargain.

The Reichmann video is definitely worth a look if you are at all interested in this.

Thank you so much for all this information, Bill! Maybe this is "why" I have yet to make my photo books?;)

Sounds extremely promising. I'll definitely check out the videos, etc.

So the Beta is free and acts as a trial until the full fledged model comes out?

P.S. I just checked with my husband to make sure he's up-to-date and thankfully, he is.

The Beta is free - it's a good way for Adobe to have LR4 tested before putting the commercial version out. You can't import catalogues from the existing version and you won't be able to import anything you do in the Beta version into the final version but Adobe reckon that by the time you have used it for a couple of months you'll be sold.

I've been using it for about five hours and I'm already sold.

wow - LR for me is a "must have" - I'll be downloading and upgrading from LR 3.6

I have now forgotten how to do even the simplest things in photoshop ............... but there are still a few simple things that I need - i.e. can you put a border are your image in LR?

WOW! This is a great. DPR has a fantastic overview starting here: Lightroom 4 Public Beta: What's New: Digital Photography Review

A couple of "what else is in the box" is IMO some nice stuff!
Lightroom 4 Public Beta: What's New: Digital Photography Review

• How about presets organized into folders! (only took them to v4 to get this, lol)
  • Ability to shut off modules by right-clicking on the name (e.g. I NEVER use the web module)
  • E-mail images directly from LR
  • NR effects rendered in previews OTHER than just 1:1 (yeah!)

You can't import catalogues from the existing version and you won't be able to import anything you do in the Beta version into the final version.......

Where did you see that? In LR1 and 2 you have most certainly been able to convert from the beta to the final release.

Gordon

Where did you see that? In LR1 and 2 you have most certainly been able to convert from the beta to the final release.

Gordon

Olli means in terms of the beta. As it's a beta, and not final, you cannot import catalogs. You can import pictures, and make adjustments, but you can't bring in your catalog.

My apologies flash. Of course the LR4Beta catalogue will open in LR4. What I was trying to say is that since LR3 catalogues will not open in LR4Beta when LR4 is released if you have been using individual images in LR4Beta that are also in your LR3 catalogue or importing from your LR3 catalogue you will end up with duplicates of the images in question. Which, if not a huge problem, is a little untidy.

Yes they do. All your existing plugins continue to work in the Beta version and will work in the commercial version.

Back