Software Adobe Super resolution - Is this the future?

Coksic

All-Pro
Name
Mladen Čoko
The image was taken with a 16mp Fujifilm X-E1 and Minolta 58mm f1.4 PF

After processing it through the new ''super resolution'' option in ACR, this image has almost 60mp!

00002928-Enhanced.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

100% crop

00002928-Enhancedcrop.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking forward to see how it fares. I have just this evening upgraded the PC with larger SSDs and maxed out the RAM to 32, so if this works as well as the OP seems, I may use that instead of the enlarger thingy from Topaz to work over the smaller JPGs from earlier days after running them through the JPG to Raw converter.

Looking forward to see how it fares. I have just this evening upgraded the PC with larger SSDs and maxed out the RAM to 32, so if this works as well as the OP seems, I may use that instead of the enlarger thingy from Topaz to work over the smaller JPGs from earlier days after running them through the JPG to Raw converter.
I agree on RAM and SSD. It's necessary to add as much RAM as possible, for this to run properly.

This video popped up in my feed yesterday: Morganti on Super Resolution. A short walk-through on it and summed up with that he would most likely continue using the Topaz Gigapixel.

I will try my hands with both when I get around to it, and after Super Resolution is/if released for LR. Have 15 years worth of JPGs, were I plan to give quite a few an electronic make-over.

I just need to find a proper workflow to wring it out in somewhat automated form.

Didn't they introduce that a while ago? (I remember testing something in Lightroom - which failed more often than not)

Or is this now available for jpgs as well (rather than raw-only)?

Or maybe I'm just mixing things up... :)

Didn't they introduce that a while ago? (I remember testing something in Lightroom - which failed more often than not)

Or is this now available for jpgs as well (rather than raw-only)?

Or maybe I'm just mixing things up... :)
This is something entirely new, so far only available in ACR! Photoshop does have other enlargement tools, but I think this one might be a bit more advanced, and simpler to use.
So far, however, I've come to realize that it only shows the tool/option in the right-click menu, when you open the file directly from Photoshop, rather than importing it from Lightroom. I haven't tried Adobe Bridge.

This video popped up in my feed yesterday: Morganti on Super Resolution. A short walk-through on it and summed up with that he would most likely continue using the Topaz Gigapixel.

I will try my hands with both when I get around to it, and after Super Resolution is/if released for LR. Have 15 years worth of JPGs, were I plan to give quite a few an electronic make-over.

I just need to find a proper workflow to wring it out in somewhat automated form.
He does seem to give advantage to Topaz, but still, it is far more cumbersome tool. Separate installation, hard on PC resources.. I'll have to wait for a better computer, before I give Topaz another go. Meanwhile, I do use Topaz Sharpen AI, and it is a powerful tool.

Last edited:
This is something entirely new, so far only available in ACR! Photoshop does have other enlargement tools, but I think this one might be a bit more advanced, and simpler to use.
So far, however, I've come to realize that it only shows the tool/option in the right-click menu, when you open the file directly from Photoshop, rather than importing it from Lightroom. I haven't tried Adobe Bridge.
Ah, I mixed it up with Lightrooms machine-learning "Enhance details" demosaicing...

Probably similar roots but different tools then...

He does seem to give advantage to Topaz, but still, it is far more cumbersome tool. Separate installation, hard on PC resources.. I'll have to wait for a better computer, before I give Topaz another go. Meanwhile, I do use Topaz Sharpen AI, and it is a powerful tool.
I havent used Gigapixel much, I tend to run DeNoice and Sharpen IA if I go into Topaz, but I do have somewhat current Win10 laptop. I did run it earlier today, doing a two step enlargement of a tiny picture from the web.

130X240 base or something in that order, and it came out nice enough, at least after another turn through Denoise and Sharpen AI. Not mine to share, unfortunately. :)

I have tried this out on a couple of pictures so far. I've posted links to original and enhance on my blog - a 10MP one from my LX3 here, and a 24mp fom my X-T2 here. Having used upresing software previously and been disappointed I think the reults on my limited trials so far are excellent. I would like the option to disengage the Enhance Details option when running Super Resolution, but for the moment it appears if you run the latter it also runs the former. I'm planning to try it on some scanned film images as well and see how it works. At some point I also plan to run off a large print to see whether it delivers where it matters.

Back