Ricoh Advice: GXR or GRD

At this point, the grd iii is my only camera and I would have to echo Lili's comments. I do lust a bit for the new sensor Fuji's, but when its time to move on in the biblical sense, the grd iii will be sharing space with me in the pine box, because you know, you never know. I think its that good!

At this point, the grd iii is my only camera and I would have to echo Lili's comments. I do lust a bit for the new sensor Fuji's, but when its time to move on in the biblical sense, the grd iii will be sharing space with me in the pine box, because you know, you never know. I think its that good!

I hope you have some POWERFUL wi-fi card in that thing! :cool:

-Ray

I hadn't though to be interred with my camera. I have planned in truth to be buried with my bow and a quiver full of arrows ;)

Wow! That's strong stuff! Yes, you never know and accordingly never know what might come in handy! Well, I'm just sitting tight until Photokina to see if there is a grd V before making a purchase.

One more thing that might or might not matter to you - the native aspect ratio of the GXR (at least with the 28 and 50 mm - not sure if it's true with all of the lens modules) is 3:2, the GRD 3/4 is 4:3. I prefer 3:2 myself, some prefer 4:3, some probably don't care. But if you do care, it's worth knowing.

-Ray

Ray said:
One more thing that might or might not matter to you - the native aspect ratio of the GXR (at least with the 28 and 50 mm - not sure if it's true with all of the lens modules) is 3:2, the GRD 3/4 is 4:3. I prefer 3:2 myself, some prefer 4:3, some probably don't care. But if you do care, it's worth knowing.

-Ray

But nice to know that 3:2 and 1:1 are menu choices for the GRD, albeit at a cost of cropping away a portion of the sensor. I find myself using 1:1 on this camera more than others, probably because the GRD is constantly talking to you: "Try something different this time!"

But nice to know that 3:2 and 1:1 are menu choices for the GRD, albeit at a cost of cropping away a portion of the sensor. I find myself using 1:1 on this camera more than others, probably because the GRD is constantly talking to you: "Try something different this time!"

Yeah, and if you're shooting 1:1 (or cropping to it), 4:3 is the better native ratio. I personally have come to really prefer 3:2, though and would rather an imperfect crop to 4:3 or 1:1 than of 3:2 from a native 4:3 camera. Probably not a huge deal for most, and some prefer 4:3 as much as I prefer 3:2. Just something for the OP to be aware of if he DOES have a strong preference one way or the other...

-Ray

-Ray

Thanks Ray. Can you please exlain this a bit more including the effect on images?

Thanks Chuck! Can you please explain this a bit more?

Yeah, and if you're shooting 1:1 (or cropping to it), 4:3 is the better native ratio. I personally have come to really prefer 3:2, though and would rather an imperfect crop to 4:3 or 1:1 than of 3:2 from a native 4:3 camera. Probably not a huge deal for most, and some prefer 4:3 as much as I prefer 3:2. Just something for the OP to be aware of if he DOES have a strong preference one way or the other...

-Ray

Thanks Ray! Why do you prefer 3:2 and why do you think Ricoh designed the GRD with 3:4 as native?

I love shoot square format with my my GRD3, the FOV lends itself well.

Thanks Ray. Can you please exlain this a bit more including the effect on images?

If its a question for you, rather than immediate reaction of "oh, I prefer X:X aspect ratio, so that narrows my choice", then you probably won't care one way or the other. It's just about the dimensions or shape of the photo. The closer to 1:1, the more square it is. The longer the long edge relative to the short edge, the more it starts to resemble a movie screen (which 16:9 kind of does - or at least a wide TV). It's personal preference, nothing else, and not everyone cares, but some people care a lot.

-Ray

Thanks! Does it render more like a medium format camera?

'render' as I understand it covers more than FOV. I still have like 3 TLR's so I know how various films render in 2 1/4 square.
The GRD has a unique draw, not Medium Formate.
Unique to the the camera
6335358372_126908f6a1_b.jpg

6339113292_52b7f15c08_b.jpg

6481032377_45cc67e079_b.jpg

Back