Leica Advice needed ... (battery replacement)

Name
Matt
Last night, I found the last original BP-SCL1 for my M8 bloated up; I'm down to one aftermarket battery now, and that one tends to lose charge quickly.

Leica has ceased producing and selling the original, and apart from the second-hand market being sucked bone-dry around here, my desire to use pre-owned batteries of this type isn't that great. And I've had very frustrating with third-party replacement batteries so far - though at least the one I'm using now *does* charge and work as long as the charge holds (store it, and it'll be completely gone within a couple of weeks).

To cut to the chase: Can someone recommend a specific type (brand/model) of aftermarket battery for the M8/M9 that *will* do the job reliably?

M.

Matt, I can't help you with your search for a replacement battery, sorry. However, I can advise anyone on how to get the best longevity from their batteries. My experience is: only use the original charger, and never charge for longer than 3 hours. I have my charger connected to a timer. My batteries (original and 3rd party) are lasting very well now!

Matt, I can't help you with your search for a replacement battery, sorry. However, I can advise anyone on how to get the best longevity from their batteries. My experience is: only use the original charger, and never charge for longer than 3 hours. I have my charger connected to a timer. My batteries (original and 3rd party) are lasting very well now!
Not to put too fine a point on it, two of my three aftermarket batteries *never* could be fully charged. But thanks for the useful bit of information; I'll use a timer going forward.

For the record, I've only ever used the original charger.

M.

Matt, these people only sell good stuff.

I've bought lots of their batteries and chargers. Never had a problem or a lemon yet.

The BLM-1 gives proper percentage charge remaining in-camera, and the off brand charger will properly charge OEM batteries and vice versa with the off brand batteries in the OEM charger.

Matt, these people only sell good stuff.

I've bought lots of their batteries and chargers. Never had a problem or a lemon yet.

The BLM-1 gives proper percentage charge remaining in-camera, and the off brand charger will properly charge OEM batteries and vice versa with the off brand batteries in the OEM charger.
Thanks - but they don't seem to ship overseas ... May be a glitch or something, but when you call up the "country" pulldown, there's only "Australia" to choose. Makes sense, of course.

I've ordered one more product locally - we'll see how it goes. But I think this will be one of my last attempts - much as like the camera, I have no illusions about being able to keep it alive forever.

M.

Thanks - but they don't seem to ship overseas ... May be a glitch or something, but when you call up the "country" pulldown, there's only "Australia" to choose. Makes sense, of course.

I've ordered one more product locally - we'll see how it goes. But I think this will be one of my last attempts - much as like the camera, I have no illusions about being able to keep it alive forever.

M.
If push comes to shove, I could buy them for you and ship them, Matt. Feel free to ask, I'm quite happy to do that.

Just have to check the shipping/postage laws.

It's time to check out a company that rebuilds custom battery packs.

The newer batteries that Leica had make in China are no better than the aftermarket batteries, I do not get the same long-life from them as I did the originals.

This ones claims to have the electronics in it. I bought one, can always use in my M8.
I will test it in the M9 as well and report back.

Otherwise- I might try opening up one of my dead packs. I've seen this done before. I expect to find 3 cells in it.

The above replacement battery powered up my M Monochrom, which viewed it as fully charged. I'm using a third-party charger. Other 3rd party batteries are rejected completely by the M9 and M Monochrom.

The Leica Brand batteries arrived, charged, and are working. The box is labeled as Lithium Batteries and NOT to transport them on a passenger aircraft. They came by surface FEDEX.

Last edited:
I have the three3rd party batteries, all working.

I found this interesting-
"After a full charge, a Li-ion battery will typically lose about 5% capacity in the first 24 hours, then approximately 3% per month because of self-discharge and an additional 3% per month if the battery pack has pack-protection circuitry.

So, how long does a lithium battery hold its charge?

A fully charged lithium battery will lose about 5% of its capacity in the first 24 hours, then approximately 3% per month due to self-discharge. If the battery pack has pack-protection circuitry, it will lose an additional 3% per month."

SO- figure the battery will lose 6% per month after charging.

Before my M8.2 died, I used the same three after market batteries for years and they never failed me.

I remember when Amin bought his M8, his after market batteries failed him straight out of brand new packaging. After assurances from some of us, he had them replaced and the next ones were all good.

I think with these chinese-made after market batteries, it's a crap shoot in terms of quality control (or lack of it?).

"After a full charge, a Li-ion battery will typically lose about 5% capacity in the first 24 hours, then approximately 3% per month because of self-discharge and an additional 3% per month if the battery pack has pack-protection circuitry.

A fully charged lithium battery will lose about 5% of its capacity in the first 24 hours, then approximately 3% per month due to self-discharge. If the battery pack has pack-protection circuitry, it will lose an additional 3% per month."

I knew you'd chime in with some technical info on batteries, I just knew it. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting information, Brian.

However, I have a third party BLH-1 for my E-M1 MkII that I charged 3-4 weeks ago. It showed 100% charge when I put it in the camera yesterday. The E-M1 MkII shows percentage charge, rather than a bar.

I guess that these are rules of thumb, and vary considerably. I have observed exactly the behaviour you quoted in all my BLM-1 batteries for my FTs cameras. All my BLM-1 batteries, both OEM and after-market, fully discharge after 6-12 months, whether in a camera or not.

John- the test would be to use the battery after charging it 6 months prior. I've had batteries show 100% then drop down quickly. It's not always linear. The main function of the circuit is to prevent overcharge and overheat. Providing an "exact" indication of charge- several ways to do it, but this chip uses an a/d circuit. Depends on whatever it is being measured being linear. I can guess that the circuit is always running, and can count how many exposures have been made.

I learned a lot about battery packs having custom ones designed for my embedded computers. BUT- I am not paying to have a custom pack designed for the m9 when these are under $20 each...

I've ordered one more product locally - we'll see how it goes.
Uhm ... should I say: "badly"? The third-party thingy charged up okay once, seemed fine, now won't charge (after having been used only once!) *unless I phyiscally press down on it while it's in the charger*. WTF?! Hooray for ... cr*p, let's not go there.

I've now wound a rubber band around the whole shebang - not good, but the only way I can keep doing something sensible while attempting to get some use out of something, well, new. I'll report back, perhaps, hopefully ... But all in all, it seems to me that sooner rather than later, supply of reasonable options will run out, at least at bearable prices and/or in terms of maintainable/sustainable solutions. We'll see - for now, I can only hope it'll take and keep a charge without exploding or burning up ... heck, I really should be charging this crutch of a clunker *outside* ...

UPDATE: Bugger didn't take charge. So, it's basically dead - may not even be worth an exchange. In the words of Alan Rickman: "I'm ... very ... dissappointed!!!" (use approriate raving and foaming at the mouth ...). More realistically, things look bleak; will have to try the Bay or the River ...

M.

Last edited:
Back