Sony Advice needed. Samyang 35/1.4 return or no?

I posted about a lens I bought from KEH is LN condition that showed up with marks on the focus ring and a dent in the barrel. The lens came with a 1 year warranty from both KEH and Samyang, with box, paperwork, caps, hood, case, etc. I emailed them immediately, but it was Friday so I didn't really expect to hear back from them due to the holiday.

They sent an email this morning saying they're holding another lens LN for me and have sent a return number. I have asked them to confirm it's another factory refurb with box, case, caps. However, I've taken enough shots with the lens to know it's getting some very nice results. Now I'm afraid to send it back thinking I may end up with something less from an IQ standpoint.

I know as sure as I'm sitting here if I were to send this lens to them as a trade there's no way they'd call it LN. But ultimately, resale/trade value appears to be the only downside to keeping it. At this point I'd rather they discount the purchase and let me keep it.

What would you do? I have a few days to think about it, all opinions welcome (well, except those on my character. We'll leave that for another thread).

I posted about a lens I bought from KEH is LN condition that showed up with marks on the focus ring and a dent in the barrel. The lens came with a 1 year warranty from both KEH and Samyang, with box, paperwork, caps, hood, case, etc. I emailed them immediately, but it was Friday so I didn't really expect to hear back from them due to the holiday.

They sent an email this morning saying they're holding another lens LN for me and have sent a return number. I have asked them to confirm it's another factory refurb with box, case, caps. However, I've taken enough shots with the lens to know it's getting some very nice results. Now I'm afraid to send it back thinking I may end up with something less from an IQ standpoint.

I know as sure as I'm sitting here if I were to send this lens to them as a trade there's no way they'd call it LN. But ultimately, resale/trade value appears to be the only downside to keeping it. At this point I'd rather they discount the purchase and let me keep it.

What would you do? I have a few days to think about it, all opinions welcome (well, except those on my character. We'll leave that for another thread).

I wouldn't buy a lens with a dented barrel. I would therefore assume I'd have a job to move it on if I wanted to. I'd send it back.

You could also ask what the refund amount would be. Pay for the other lens and test both side by side. I think they'd likely waive any other shipping charges.
I bought a used AF85mm 1.4 a few months ago. It had a small pin point dent in it. I think the barrels are soft(aluminum?). It was nicely centered and functioned perfectly.

You could also ask what the refund amount would be. Pay for the other lens and test both side by side. I think they'd likely waive any other shipping charges.
I bought a used AF85mm 1.4 a few months ago. It had a small pin point dent in it. I think the barrels are soft(aluminum?). It was nicely centered and functioned perfectly.
It's a straight up exchange, no money difference.

I wouldn't buy a lens with a dented barrel. I would therefore assume I'd have a job to move it on if I wanted to. I'd send it back.
That's my biggest worry. If I ever had to move it, I'd have to be able to convince someone that the dent happened before Samyang did the refurb.

Another option would be to ask for a discount on your purchase, since the rating wasn’t accurate. Ensure that discount will offset the likely lower resale value you will be met with down the road. They likely have a good amount of margin in the sale that they can work with, plus they don’t have to pay to ship out a replacement lens.

I'd return it for a full refund. I sold my copy which was properly AF fine-tuned and well cared for (near mint) for $380. I baby my gear and keep all the boxes, cases, etc. If you shop around, you can find clean copies between $350-$400. You can even try the Sam 35mm f/1.8 FE which in my opinion is a better lens that's cheaper, smaller, faster and more accurate to focus.

Honestly I don't find that big a difference between f/1.8 and f/1.4 when it comes to 35mm lenses. I feel you'd need to try Leica/Voigtlander/Zeiss M-mount glass to get that magic rendering (though corners suffer on Sony bodies). For regular FE lenses, I feel like the OOF/bokeh differences are more noticeable at 50mm and longer. The Sam 85mm f/1.4 FE in my opinion is one of their best.

Last edited:
Well, and there's the thing. They had a 20% off deal going, so I paid less than $350 for this lens OTD, and it's full refurbished. Except (evidently) for the dent. So if I keep it am I really getting hurt? I'd love it if they knocked another 10-15% off, I would think they're going to have at least $20 in shipping the old one back and the new one to me.

Just got off the phone with them, which resolved nothing but added a new twist.

Turns out they bought several of these lenses directly from Samyang. He said when they come as refurbs in LN condition, they don't reinspect when they receive them. It slipped through, or was let through, Samyang's QC. He said they'll send it back to Samyang (more than likely get a discount and resell as a lower grade). I guess I'm going to send it back, I just hope the replacement isn't a POS.

Replacement lens came. This one looks brand new and seems to be be nice and sharp. Test shot, pretty good crop. SOOC colors, Sony has really improved that part.

DSC00239 (2).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back