Film Advice required - recommended 35mm sub f/2.8 m-mount lens

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Well the writing's on the wall. The mu43 gear is on it's way out, and onto the Classifieds, in lieu of a Leica M2 (which I'm having shipped from the US) and then a compact digital zoom (probably an X10).

Anyway, I'll be able to stretch to one lens for the M2 and so I'd prefer the first to be a 35mm - as that would be the best compromise until I can buy faster and/or longer down the track. The 50mm would be too limiting first up. So I'm looking for recommendations for a 35mm lens f/2.8 or faster. My budget is around $500....I know, I know, it's limited...but I have to work within my means and surely there are lenses out there. For example the CV 35/2.5 looks sort of promising.
NB: happy enough to use an LTM to M adapter if needs be.

+1 for the 35/1.7 Ultron if you can find one that focuses properly. I had one for a few days until I realized that it was backfocusing by about three inches. The shop's technician couldn't fix it so I exchanged it for something else, but the lens character and sharpness were something else. Even wide open, the lens was very sharp, and the focus throw is short, making for fast and easy focus.

Another suggestion is the 35/1.4 Nokton. This is a real gem of a lens and one of my first M-mount lenses. Some say they exhibit focus shift, but mine is fine and works equally as well on both digital and film rangefinders.

just edited to 35mm f1.7 - I have a good copy, use it on my M8 - but also a lot with my G1 on which it performs really well

I can almost be "too sharpe" for some - what others may perceive as Leica shots, (if you see what I mean) - but that's good

It's also a nice heavy lens - (made partly of brass?), matures well, (brassing) and feel good "in the hand" - not like all this modern stuff

I should't say this - but it some ways I prefer it to my Summarit 35mm f2.5

I have the 2.5... I used it alongside a v.4 Summicron for a while, then sold the Summicron, in favour of the contrast and bokeh of the little CV. I have now had 3 examples of this lens and prefer the LTM version for handling and compactness. Also see if you can find a 40mm 1.4 or a Canon 1.8 - not had the canon myself but it is well spoken of.

I have the 2.5... I used it alongside a v.4 Summicron for a while, then sold the Summicron, in favour of the contrast and bokeh of the little CV. I have now had 3 examples of this lens and prefer the LTM version for handling and compactness. Also see if you can find a 40mm 1.4 or a Canon 1.8 - not had the canon myself but it is well spoken of.

Just to confirm Bill. Are you talking here of the CV 35/2.5 (aka the Color Skopar)?

@ Stillshunter - indeed I am. Apologies, more speed less haste ;) it forms part of the "trinity" for my M7 along with my 50mm Elmar M and 90mm Elmarit M - the perfect travel set, IMO

Sounds like you are in good hands Mark! And I think you've seen that thread that Luke started. I had lots of comments about M lenses, including a bunch of 35mm lenses, on Luke's thread.

Back