Aerialist Dancer Photography

Mikey

Veteran
Had the great fortune of shooting a couple of aerialist dancers at a recent photo meetup in Lightspace Studios in Brooklyn, NYC. I was simply blown away with how acrobatic they were (not to mention they were all also easy on the eyes).

​I was amongst a group of about a dozen photographers with everyone else sporting either a Canon or Nikon full frame body. I did see a Df amongst them which I have to say didn't look as butt fugly in person.

I'm proud to say the X-E2 (with high performance mode and face detection set to ON) held its own against CaNikon. I used the 56/1.2 primarily at f/2-2.8 (depending on how much light I needed) and at times the 18-55 for versatility (all the photos below were with the 56 with the exception of the aerial silk dances here where I used the zoom). All were at ISO 1600-3200 (continuous light sources) with the exception of the aerial silk dances which were shot with strobes. FD helped quite a bit for those valuable milliseconds to capture the model's expressions while swirling in mid-air. For shots where the FD wouldn't latch on, I didn't have any problems AF'ing in the center and recomposing quickly. I did not need to turn on burst shooting for the shots below (I did use 3fps for some of the faster dance performances [not pictured here]).

Now this trio doesn't have a troupe name yet. But I'd like to introduce them individually to give them proper credit...

Meet Brenna Bradbury-- she has a darling personality that exudes in her photos.
DSCF7094-L.jpg

DSCF7082-L.jpg

DSCF7106-L.jpg

Meet Megan Hornaday -- a prima ballerina with an impeccable elegance to her. She has a Facebook page -- Log In or Sign Up to View
DSCF7176-L.jpg

DSCF7044-L.jpg

And last but definitely not the least, meet Sarah Sadie Newett -- she's a little stick of dynamite that packs quite a wallop. I still can't believe how she's able to contort her body quite effortlessly. She has her own website -- Sarah Sadie Newett
DSCF7047-L.jpg

DSCF7031-L.jpg

DSCF7050-L.jpg

Out of 800+ shots, I can say that 2/3 to 75% nailed focus. Except since I was using the 56 for most of these with fast moving subjects, I had to throw away quite a few due to framing (cut-off limb, too close to the edge, etc). Around 300-400 shots were using 3fps for the faster dance performances -- I discarded images that looked too similar.

I also had a couple of interesting findings from that day, namely:
1) The 56/1.2's AF is noticeably faster than the 18-55. I guess I never noticed that before. It might be that the 56/1.2 benefits more from high performance mode which I've only used one other time at a St. Patty's Day parade.
2) I used to get no more than 300 photos on a single charge (I use non-OEM batteries) but then again I chimp a lot and use the in-camera RAW converter (which really eats up battery juice) a lot. That day, I just kept on shooting. Got home with 800+ images. I did have to switch batteries but by my estimate only a 150 or so frames were from the 2nd battery.
3) For some shots (not the ones posted here) where I used burst mode shooting, I noticed that my RAW files were underexposed by 2/3 to a full stop and had to fix it in JPEG.

I have quite a few more faves (including ground stills) from that same day on my Smugmug page -- http://mikeyhuang.smugmug.com

Thanks for looking!

Really nice stuff! I especially like the last shot of Megan Hornaday - great composition and toning.
Thank you! It's a modified Fuji Superia VSCO preset, I believe. :)

One with b&w toning..
DSCF7119-L.jpg

These are outstanding
Thanks, Bobby!

Beautifully done, Mike - you definitely know what you're doing...as do these aerialists!
Thank you very much!! 90% of the credit goes to the aerialists, obviously.

I was telling my wife the other day about how photographing the aerialists felt much like photographing animals at the zoo (Now I'm not trying to compare these beautiful beings to animals, mind you. LOL). While I could hear the CaNikon people "praying and spraying" away, I tried to be judicious with timing my shots. I guess I owe it to tons of practice at the zoo. :p

DSCF7055-L.jpg

Back