Fuji AF and the 18mm F2

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
My 18mm F2 arrived today, and I wasted no time in starting to get accustomed to it. I checked the software, and lens v3.11 was already installed. I rarely use AF, but for my first trials I set the X-T1 on auto everything and went at it. As you can see in the first photo, the lens locked on something other than my big orange cat's face. Granted, I didn't really frame - just point, wait for the confirmation, and "click". It did better with my son's cat. I also ran these through Color Efex Pro 2, messing with different settings. For those rare times I may want to use AF with this lens, any tips?

DSCF7820.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF7821.JPG

DSCF7822.JPG

In the first photo it looks like the focus locked on the reflection of the camera. Probably due to the contrast of the white letters on the black body. Which focus mode were you shooting in?

It really caught the left (on the image) eye of the cat in the second shot.
Yeah, that one seemed to work well.

In the first photo it looks like the focus locked on the reflection of the camera. Probably due to the contrast of the white letters on the black body. Which focus mode were you shooting in?
I just had the front dial on S. I didn't adjust any of the menu settings.

Herein lies the reason I use MF and focus peaking. It may be slower, but I can more easily select what I want in focus.

Your autofocus settings will have a big impact on the camera's ability to focus and where it focuses. If the AF was set to zone or wide there are several focus points the camera can lock on to. As well as where the focus area is with zone. And in single point AF, the camera is going to focus where or near where that point is.

Back