Fuji AF focus point or AF-Lock button?

yomogi

Name
W.L.Engl
For correct AF focusing "Rico" and many others propose:
1.) Frame your object, 2.) select your focus point with the D-pad buttons.
What about the alternative:
1.) Select your focus point in the finder and freeze it with the AF-Lock button (switch), 2.) frame your object.
This way you can use The D-pad buttons for other Fn functions. For easier handling of the AF-Lock button switch its position to the engraved AE-Lock button.

What are the disadvantages of this method?

There's two schools of thought on this and there was a long debate about it in the thread "Focus Tips with 56 1.2". In a nutshell, I and others prefer focus and recompose. Personally I do it using a half shutter-press. There is no disadvantage to this method as long as your technique is sound. The primary objection (as you will see if you read the other thread) is that you may rotate when reframing, thus altering the point of focus. My method moves in the same plane so I do not suffer from that problem.

Philosophically I think it is the difference between liking to have a button to press to have the camera do the work for you or doing it yourself. I use a variety of cameras including an 86 year old Leica and prefer the control of DIY; if it's wrong I then only have myself to blame, not a programmer in Osaka.

For correct AF focusing "Rico" and many others propose:
1.) Frame your object, 2.) select your focus point with the D-pad buttons.
What about the alternative:
1.) Select your focus point in the finder and freeze it with the AF-Lock button (switch), 2.) frame your object.
This way you can use The D-pad buttons for other Fn functions. For easier handling of the AF-Lock button switch its position to the engraved AE-Lock button.

What are the disadvantages of this method?
There's two schools of thought on this and there was a long debate about it in the thread "Focus Tips with 56 1.2". In a nutshell, I and others prefer focus and recompose. Personally I do it using a half shutter-press. There is no disadvantage to this method as long as your technique is sound. The primary objection (as you will see if you read the other thread) is that you may rotate when reframing, thus altering the point of focus. My method moves in the same plane so I do not suffer from that problem.

Philosophically I think it is the difference between liking to have a button to press to have the camera do the work for you or doing it yourself. I use a variety of cameras including an 86 year old Leica and prefer the control of DIY; if it's wrong I then only have myself to blame, not a programmer in Osaka.

Hi Bill,
Thank you for your advice and the reference. Since I do posses only the 18~55 zoom (so far), I shall stay with my old practice from the Leica stone age.
Walter.

Back