Fuji AF issue or normal? -X-E1

battleaxe

Regular
I have an X-E1 with the 27mm lens and really like the combo a lot. However, I think I am having AF issues and not sure if it's due to the camera, lens, or this is how Fuji works. Like I will focus on a dark grey sky or blue sky with no clouds and the AF will error as to say it can't get focus. I've noticed this more recently so I am not sure if it has always been there or it's a new thing. Anyone else with this issue? If so, is there a fix? I don't have another AF lens to test it, so I can't know for sure if it's the lens, the camera, or just normal. THank you.

That's pretty normal AF behavior for any camera, really. If you give the focus box no contrast whatsoever to use for focus, it won't be able to get its job done. See also: white walls. The solution is to put something with contrast in that focus box... a cloud edge, trees on the horizon, whatever.

I did some side by send testing so to speak, and my GM1 oddly did a better job at mis-focusing. I.e. it would default to infinity vs the X-E1. Odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GM1 is much better at picking up even a smallest bit of contrast to focus on. That being said, I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong answer to what the camera should do when there's nothing to focus on. Had you been pointing your camera at a totally unmarked wall 5 feet away, defaulting to infinity is not 'right' either. Either way the camera has no idea, and is just guessing based on what the designers put in the camera firmware to deal with such situations.

Back