Fuji AF speed (x100s vs X-e1/Pro1)

les-star

Regular
Just wondering how everyone feels about the AF speed since the latest firmware update? Especially between the x100s vs 35mm 1.4 on the X mount bodies.

I may be wrong or it may be the torque and noise on the 35mm but am I crazy to say the 35mm seems more snappier than the proclaimed AF high speed of x100s? I've done numerous testing with my x100s and my friends x-e1 and I was amazed. Tests where done in a house with standard room lights (no windows).

Anyone find this to be true since the latest update?

Personally, I didn't find the X100S to be much better than the X-E1 even before the update, so post update I'd say they're even more comparable. That holds true even with the relatively slow 35mm lens on the X-E1.

I should really stop reading threads here. I really want to love the x system but with 2 kids under the age of 6, im afraid the af won't be quick enough. I'm >< close to ditching my nikon gear. If I may quote the poet, r kelly...my mind is telling me no, but my body is telling me yes.

I should really stop reading threads here. I really want to love the x system but with 2 kids under the age of 6, im afraid the af won't be quick enough. I'm >< close to ditching my nikon gear. If I may quote the poet, r kelly...my mind is telling me no, but my body is telling me yes.

If it's any consolation, the X-E1 isn't endangering my Nikon gear for fast action photography any time soon haha.

Just wondering how everyone feels about the AF speed since the latest firmware update? Especially between the x100s vs 35mm 1.4 on the X mount bodies.

I may be wrong or it may be the torque and noise on the 35mm but am I crazy to say the 35mm seems more snappier than the proclaimed AF high speed of x100s? I've done numerous testing with my x100s and my friends x-e1 and I was amazed. Tests where done in a house with standard room lights (no windows).

Anyone find this to be true since the latest update?

I made a thread about the new firmware for the X-PRO1 and how fast the AF speed has become.
Very impressed with the AF speed!

https://www.fujixspot.com/f7/finally-updated-firmware-v-3-01-a-1529/

However, it's still slower than my X100S for sure.

Maybe your standard room light caused your X100S to struggle?

I had a photo shoot on Tuesday using a Westcott Spiderlite TD6, which advertises 1200 watts of daylight power.

Used both the X-PRO1 (35/1.4 & 60/2.4) & X100S & AF speed was still faster on my X100S!

I'd like to quote Nike. "Just do it" LoL.. You shouldn't worry, I have 2 nephews (age 1 and 3) and take pictures of them using my x100s all the time. Sure you can't actively track them like DSLRs but you'll learn how to live with it and enjoy shooting every time you pick it up. You'll learn how to pre-focus and use the distance scale to anticipate movement. I switched from Nikon (D600) as well and I haven't looked back since. You may miss some moments here and there in the beginning. If anything, keep you DSLR and purchase a Fuji X camera. Once you learn the ins and outs and are 100% happy with it sell your Nikon. If you have the cash to play with that is.

my x-e1 definitely seems to have the faster contrast-detect focusing over my x100s. but, in bright situations, i can see my x100s being a little more snappy due to having its pdf.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

I hear you

Same boat. My four your old just doesn't like to keep put. I keep looking at Oly for the faster AF speed ('cause that's what so many say to do), but the IQ of these X cams is just so enticing. For sure, the Olys take some fine images, but just not quite the same.

Ha! Yes, mine has a tendency to play around black holes. I'm a poor father, I know.
But an outing yesterday with my boy and X10 reminded me that faster AF isn't everything.

Back