Affordable Pre-Owned Advanced Compacts.

Kustom48

Regular
Name
ian drury
Hi,
Did'nt really know where to place this post, so here goes, hopefully this is the place, if not I'm sure it will be moved :rolleyes:

As I'm on a limited budget ( nothing up to £250 max ) what would be good 'used/ pre-owned' serious compact cameras to put on my list to consider and look out for ?

There are a lot of new models around now, but how about 'older' models that have gained a following & reputation for image quality, handling plus reliability ?

I have no brand preferences !

Looking forward to some helpful hints.

Thanks in advance.

I should think the Panasonic LX3 would be a good place to start. It has a very nice, fast (albeit short zoom) lens and unless I am mistaken the sensor hasn't really changed much between the LX3 and LX7. THE LX3 is two generations back and I see them going for less than $200 USD.

Sigma DP2s would be on my shortlist, but be sure to read up on it, it's not exactly your standard compact camera.

Olympus E-PL1 if you're looking at something a little larger with interchangable lenses.

Canon G12, Canon S90/S95, Panasonic LX3/LX5 are more "traditional" enthusiast compacts that should be within your budget.

indeed, if you can find one still for sale you should be able to pick up a new EX1 for your upper limit or slightly less.

if that's not an option, the LX3 is indeed a wonderful camera, particularly if you like wide-angle. It sort of kick-started the whole serious fixed-lens compact market into life again.

Canon G-series cameras have been giving great images for over 10 years, although the features have varied a bit through the generations (tilting screen and raw shooting are 2 features that have disappeared and made a comeback through its history). They are a bit larger than the LX3 though. If smallness is your thing, a Canon S90 is pretty nice, although it won't have as many handling options as the G-series.

As far as I know, the LX3 and G-series have a good reputation regarding reliability. I'm not aware of major issues regarding the S90, but I believe the S95 and S100 have had some issues for some users, although they'd probably show up pretty quickly and not after a few years.

Park Cameras in the UK were doing new LX5s for £250 and the EX1 for £220 recently. There are good deals on the S95 too. camerapricebuster is a good price comparison site for the UK. My best recent bargain was a Lumix GF3 wirh 14mm pancake for £200 new. Happy hunting!!

Back