After five long years . . . finally published as a nature photographer . . . see also "patient endurance"

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
The theme of my early morning devotional last Wednesday was "patient endurance." I remember thinking: "doesn't sound like fun to me."

At noon, coming back from a doctor's appointment, the better half says, "better check your messages." There is a call from an editor at The Conservationist Magazine. They have used my photos in a spread on Peebles Island. I submitted them five years ago. Thank You, Your Honor, maybe there is a point to this patient endurance thing . . .

G12 Conservationist magazine 002.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

G12 Conservationist magazine 003.JPG

G12 Conservationist magazine 001 (2).JPG

Here are the originals:

FZ150 Peebles Island 019 (Medium).JPG

Peebles FZ200 040 2.JPG

Peebles at Dusk 022.JPG

Peebles Island 008.JPG

Peebles Marlene's Birthday 010 copy.jpg

FZ150 Peebles Island 020.JPG

Peebles FZ200 014-001.JPG

FZ200 Peebles eagles and herons 033.JPG

FZ150 Peebles Island 087.JPG

Peebles FZ200 021.JPG
FZ200 Peebles 039.JPG

Peebles FZ200 025-003.JPG

Peebles FZ200 032.JPG

Peebles at Dusk 010.JPG

Peebles at Dusk 023.JPG

Moonshot and Peebles FZ200 038_DxO.jpg

FZ200 Peebles eagles and herons 031.JPG

Cheers, Jock

Congrats! I was watching Anthony Bourdain's Hudson River episode... He didn't go up that far North but interesting to find out your version of Hudson river... I am still waiting for my local park to be open to enjoy the nature near my home again...

Congrats. Wonderful images. It's a strange feeling seeing your images in print like that.

Especially in such an unusual photo layout. I really have to tip my hat to the designer, because whoever did it really helped to capture the "spirit" of Peebles Island in a limited amount of space.

Cheers, Jock

BRAVO, JOCK
An honor thoroughly earned and well deserved.

That cannot pass without a big shout-out to all the folks here -- and you know who you are -- who have encouraged me over the years. Thanks!

But the biggest "appreciation heart" has to go to my better half, aka spotter-in-chief. Every single one of these photos was taken during walks on Peebles Island with her. With her freakishly good distance vision, she often points out items of interest.

It was she who said, "What's that at the end of the dam?"

To which I said, "There's something at the end of the dam?" (I thought it was a rock). Zoom . . . zoom . . . more zoom . . . holy smokes, it's an eagle having lunch! Click.

Cheers, Jock

Nice. You did that all with FZers.

Kind of you to notice, Steve. All the photos were the result of taking walks on Peebles Island with the better half (aka spotter-in-chief). Because superzooms are small (relative to almost any DSLR or mirrorless), light, and extremely versatile, I was willing to carry them. The RX10 IV is about a pound heavier but delivers more horsepower, particularly very fast autofocus.

By contrast, check out this thread: Went looking for eagles and found these

Years ago, one of the denizens of Serious Compacts said: "Take a camera everywhere and see what happens." For me, that's a ticket to joy.

This thread is the result of a stroll at Troy NY's Oakwood Cemetery. These are for Luke . . .

The first shot, taken with the RX10 IV, gives me a huge grin. The woodchuck took one look at us and started bookin' for his Safe Place. I love the fact that just one foot is touching the ground. Silly me.

Cheers, Jock

Back