Micro 4/3 After the om-1 , a EM 5 iii replacement?

vertigo1959

Will such a camera be produced?
Does it all hinge on how the om-1 sells?
How would it differ from the om-1 if it was introduced?
When would it be announced assuming om system continue?
I own a EP-5 [ with vf-4] and EM 5 ii right now .
Would love a new mid range camera with a better EVF.

Interesting, the EM5 mk II doesn't seem to have any shutter shock from what I can tell. Too bad about the mk III.

I had no issues with the Mark II either. I think the issue is with the lighter camera body. Just not enough there to dampen the shutter. You can really feel it in the EM5.3, which is a shame because it has so much going for it. My plan was to make it my last m43 purchase...but given my issues, sprung for the EM1.2 instead.

I had no issues with the Mark II either. I think the issue is with the lighter camera body. Just not enough there to dampen the shutter. You can really feel it in the EM5.3, which is a shame because it has so much going for it. My plan was to make it my last m43 purchase...but given my issues, sprung for the EM1.2 instead.
Just another mark in favor of my hefty chunk of alloy mk II.

I cannot see the justification for a new E-M1X variant with the OM-1 and HLD-10 grip available; so the next logical step would be to use the new sensor in a E-M5 form factor, perhaps with a lower spec on the sealing and the processor turned down so that it does not cook inside. The big message I am getting from the OM-1 is increased computational features, so the new camera could have an I-Auto which does everything for you. Perhaps even voice feedback.:)

I’ve got no issues with shutter shock in my 5.3 🤷‍♂️Not sure what the issue is there, but I’ve got some consistently sharp images not even using antishock settings at all.

I still use and like the Pen F. But the exposure comp. dial should have a lock on it or be moved somewhere else. Mine gets moved all the time and that can be quite annoying.
Would be very surprised to see an update. But if they did, I hope that they would fix that flaw.

In fact, I am considering selling it an picking up a EM-5 III.
Just disable the EC dial then (by setting it to flash EC). I do that on mine, since I prefer the regular rear dial for EC - ironically because I find the dedicated dial too stiff and can't easily move it when the camera is to the eye.

I still use and like the Pen F. But the exposure comp. dial should have a lock on it or be moved somewhere else. Mine gets moved all the time and that can be quite annoying.
Would be very surprised to see an update. But if they did, I hope that they would fix that flaw.

In fact, I am considering selling it an picking up a EM-5 III.
I've now got an EM5.3 and a Pen-F. The EM5.3 is overall a better camera in all ways apart from looks and feel, but its major achilles heel is the lack of C modes on the dial and the appalling way they've implemented the C modes in general. The Pen-F is WAY better in this respect.

If there ever is a Pen F II hopefully it will be elevated to Pro grade with weather resistant build. And yes PDAF would be great and get rid of the Art filters for heavens sake, and finally move the mode switch so that finger tips don't rest on it. And oh yeah a higher res view finder.

I could see a 4 bodies in an OM systems lineup.

I've not looked at sales figures for Olympus cameras, but IMO, I think the camera lineup should be stripped down to two bodies, sort of like Nikon did with Nikon Fs & Nikkomats. IOW, drop the EPL line along with the EM10 and the EM5 with the possibility of bringing back the Pen F in a "PRO" configuration. I realize camera companies need to have a profitable line and in these times of global instability who knows what will get delivered.

Some rumours say it’ll get a 41Mp sensor. I’d not put any money on that myself, but it would be sort of nice - a “landscape” OM camera with the OM1 remaining as the “action” camera.
It might be possible. If that is true, I am not a target audience. It would be strange to have such high MP sensor and only have one SD card slot. Anyhow, next thing we know, it will be here in front of us.

Back