After three weeks of not sleeping well...

I knew it was shingles when I woke up and felt like I had lightning bolts zapping my face. Yeah, it's quite painful!

They put me on steroids (no world-class athletics for me!) and anti-virals and I'm already starting to feel better, though.

You have my absolute sympathy Diedre. I've had them twice and they burned for weeks! Best of luck sleeping....codeine was my only friend then.

Again my heart is with you!

I'm already on all the drugs for pain management due to fibromyalgia. I think I would have felt the pain a day or two ago if I weren't, so now it's worse. :(

I'm very sorry, deirdre, but very glad you got to the doctor quickly! I had the displeasure of having them a couple of years ago. Fast treatment is extremely important, so that's a big plus in your favor. I hope you get over it super quickly!

Ouch, sorry to hear Deirdre. Hope the meds work well and you're better soon. Never had them but aren't they sort of similar to chicken pox - same type of mechanism or something???

Hang in there,

-Ray

Diet may help; it appears that herpes viruses are exacerbated by some amino acids, mitigated by others. Chocolate and nuts seem to be things best avoided ... and, despite what christilou suggests, I'd lay off the crack too ...

anyway, hope it settles soon ...

My mother had very bad shingles some years ago and thus I know how bad that is. I hope that you will be fine again without enduring unpleasant health effects and wish you the best!

I feel only half as bad as I did yesterday, though the anti-virals do give me a stomach ache something fierce. Fortunately, I only have to take them for a week.

For those of us who are senior citizens, there is now a shingles vaccine available. I gladly accepted that recommendation from my doctor, having seen my father suffer from the disease while recuperating from a triple bypass....

Back