Fuji After using the X100T, I think I may want to migrate completely to Fuji.

vinvin

Regular
It's been a couple of weeks since I got my x100t (well maybe around two weeks) and I am absolutely in love with it, I love the way it feels in hand, the way it renders, the colours, everything!

Now because of this I am considering selling my Micro Four Thirds and Nikon gear in order to fund the Fuji ILC system in hopes to get the following:

XPro1 Body/XE2 with 18-55 Kit Lens
XF 14mm 2.8
XF 35mm 1.4
XF 56mm 1.2
SLR Magic 23mm 1.7

If I do end up selling my Nikon and m43 gear, this is what I will be selling:

Nikon D80 with Batter Grip and 2 Batteries
Nikon SB-800 Flash
AF-S Nikkor DX 18-200 G VR
AF Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Olympus EP1 with custom made metal body grip
Olympus EP3
Olympus VF-3
Olympus 14-42mm (first gen)
Olympus 14-42mm IIR
Olympus 40-150mm IIR
Olympus 17mm 2.8
Olympus 17mm 1.8
Olympus 45mm 1.8
Olympus 15mm f8 BCL
Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye
2x CCTV Lenses (25mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.7) with 2x adapters
Nissin Di-466 Flash for m4/3
and a bunch of accessories, mainly adapters.

so... Should I do it? I'm very much undecided right now, and it's giving me a headache.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably too soon to make such a huge decision. But beware, if you already feel the Fuji hook setting, you may be doomed. They're delightful tools, and the lenses you list are pretty impressive.

Probably too soon to make such a huge decision. But beware, if you already feel the Fuji hook setting, you may be doomed. They're delightful tools, and the lenses you list are pretty impressive.

Yeah, I'm probably just gonna try out some of the newer M4/3 stuff first before I make a decision but the Fuji's, oh, the Fuji's they tug at my heartstring like no tomorrow. Their form factor, the sleekness of the design, the beautiful colours. Absolutely beautiful! But as most have said here and on mu43, I shouldn't run headlong into it lest I break my neck in the process!

I went from Nikon and Leica M to Fuji, but it took me over a year to complete the transition. I'd say do it, but do it gradually and in a structured manner, so that at no point do you sell a "capability" that is important to you (long-lens, macro, etc) without replacing it straightaway.

Vin, I'd say give it six months at least. Shoot with the X100T through the summer, maybe. Then decide. But if you do decide to go all Fuji, don't look back.

That seems to be the general consensus, give it some time see what comes out and shoot more before deciding. I'm going to try out some of the newer olympus bodies before I make the decision, and yes I agree, I should definitely shoot with the X100T through the summer just to be sure what I want and what I need are in agreement :)

I went from Nikon and Leica M to Fuji, but it took me over a year to complete the transition. I'd say do it, but do it gradually and in a structured manner, so that at no point do you sell a "capability" that is important to you (long-lens, macro, etc) without replacing it straightaway.

Yeah, I figured that's what I should do too. That and there is a bit more to the story in terms of what's happening within the next year.

One thing that I would say about the X100 - and my comments relate specifically to the original X100 and the X100S - I have no first hand experience of the T - is that it is at least in my experience quite different from the rest of the X-Series. I say that because I love my X-Pro1 and like my X-T1 but had two goes at bonding with the X100/S and failed each time. I wouldn't want you to think that your current UX with your X100T translates directly across the whole range. What is it in particular that you enjoy about the UX?

One thing that I would say about the X100 - and my comments relate specifically to the original X100 and the X100S - I have no first hand experience of the T - is that it is at least in my experience quite different from the rest of the X-Series. I say that because I love my X-Pro1 and like my X-T1 but had two goes at bonding with the X100/S and failed each time. I wouldn't want you to think that your current UX with your X100T translates directly across the whole range. What is it in particular that you enjoy about the UX?

1. I've missed having a viewfinder that I don't have to carry in a separate pouch.
2. The Hybrid VF is just so easy to use, makes it enjoyable to actually take pictures again. When using my Olympus I either forget to bring my VF3 or when its there it sticks out like a sore thumb and the LCD on it is just... I don't like it.
3. I love the form factor. It feels really good in hand, and is awesome after I attached my leather wrist strap. I don't have to worry about anything else, and I end up taking more pictures.
4. In the past, I have always used my EP3 with a leather case that also separates into a half case. The VF3 for the olympus makes it so that I can't put the case back on unless I take off the VF3, It's a hassle.
5. So far I haven't taken the pictures out of the camera, and maybe it's a matter of the screen and whatnot but I find the colours just pop out at you. I shoot in raw, but even then it is really nice, and I don't shot a lot of colour stuff normally, it's not my cup of tea per se, but on the Fuji, I love it!
6. The build is very nice. It's not too heavy but doesn't lack the feeling of quality in my hands.
7. I'll admit that the 35mm focal length has always been my favorite, and to be honest I spend 90% of the time with my EP3 with either the 17 2.8 or the 17 1.8. I figured, forget about the ILC and stick with the focal length I love the most!
8. There is the possibility that because it's new to me I like it more. We will see where it takes me I guess!

Good answers.

I can relate to 1 and 2; I am really not a fan of stick-on electronic viewfinders; too easy to lose or snag on clothing and just a bit of a faff.

3 is a bit of a killer - it was the form factor as much as anything else (but see 7 below) that made it not work for me. I found the X100 and X100S just too damn slippery, even with grips and thumbrests. It's not a size thing because I am very happy with my GR.

5. Set your pictures free! Until you see them on a monitor and compare them to the results from other cameras you cannot "see" anything.

7 is interesting. The 35mm equivalent choice at the moment is the 23mm 1.4. This is a stellar performer but a beast of a lens. I suspect we may see an f2.0 version in the future; the recently announced 35mm f2.0 gives a clue - but at the moment if the 35mm fov is your thing, the X100T is undoubtedly the most compact solution that Fuji offers. I find the 35mm fov a bit meh myself - I see the world in 50mm fov terms so 35 is not comfortable for me; I would rather go out to 28mm fov as I have with the GR than really try to make 35mm work.

5. Set your pictures free! Until you see them on a monitor and compare them to the results from other cameras you cannot "see" anything.

Yeah I'm too lazy I need to start doing that. Normally I just stick the card into the reader I connect to my iPad and transfer over. I still have around 4000 pictures from the last 2 years that I haven't sorted through and edited... and I've sorted through over 4000 already... it takes a lot of time for me to work on my pictures after taking them unless it was a very very memorable picture and I would just go straight to it, work on it, then after that one get back to my Lazy self again.

Once I clear that out I think I will stop procrastinating after each shoot LOL

Vinvin,
So, I shot with a full-on pro Canon kit (1D-series bodies), all the big white glass for years before jumping in to Fuji with the purchase of my X-Pro1.

So, if I may, I'd like to share my thoughts and recommendations, and my experiences which differ a bit with Lightmancer's regarding the X100T and my experiences with my Olympus M4/3s system.

If you were starting out with interchangeable lens Fujis, as much as I love my X-Pro1, I would recommend starting out with the X-T1. Why? Because this body is much more functional with the new pro zooms that Fuji is coming out with right now, and you may at some point decide to get one of those lenses. I just got the XF 50-140/2.8 (which is amazing), and I can tell you that using this lens on an X-Pro1 would be pretty difficult; the AF system wouldn't be able to keep up with the lens, and you'd have to use the EVF on the X-Pro1 for any focal length past 50mm. Also, the optical viewfinder with the X-Pro1 is really best suited for the standard/wider primes; the framing box in the OVF gets pretty small at 55mm. I personally think using the X-Pro1 is wonderful using the 14, 23, and to a lesser extent the 35 (it's AF motor is slow), but the 56 would have a small frame box if you are using the OVF. Again, the X-T1 would be better in this application. Regarding your choice of lenses, I would recommend passing on the 35/1.4. Why? Even though it's image quality is superb, it's AF motor is slow, with the lens hunting for focus back and forth. I have one and I hardly ever use it as I find the 18-55 to be a much more useful lens, and the image quality of this lens is so good, I've never thought to myself, "Oh, I should have used the 35 prime here." The 14 and 23 primes are different, those lenses are brilliant and I absolutely love them.

Also, the X-T1 has a 14-bit imaging engine, as opposed to the 12-bit one in the X-Pro1. Now, don't get me wrong, I love, love, love the image quality from my X-Pro1; it has a *something* to it that is absolutely magical. But, I think using it is best suited to applications where one is working in the classic rangefinder use scenario, with wide/standard fast primes, the 14, 23 and 35 lenses.
I would never put anyone off getting an X-Pro1, but I think if you're starting out, an X-T1 is a more versatile choice.

For a much broader range of use professional/editorial/commercial scenarios, it is tough to beat the X-T1, because it can use those primes as well as the new zooms and the longer focal lengths much more effectively. The EVF in it is so good that in the year I have been using it, I realized the other day when shooting with it that I had completely forgotten that I was not using an optical viewfinder of a DSLR (see my go-karting photos I just shot with the XF 50-140 native lens showcase forum).

Regarding the X100/X100S and the X100T. I rented both the X100 and X100S for two week intervals and shot with them extensively. Like Lightmancer, I never bonded with those two cameras. The X100T, IMO, is a whole other story. I shot with one at a local camera store and immediately fell in love. This model is notably zippier in operation, has snappier AF, and I love the small but important design changes Fuji made with the knurling on the aperture ring and control dials, and the the refinements made on the shutter speed/comp dials (each one turns with a different level of force; brilliant!), the improved and revised buttons and D-pad, the WiFi connectivity, and the brilliant small EVF that pops up in to the OVF window. As opposed to the X100/X100S, I absolutely love this camera, and Fuji has refined it to a "T" (pun intended!). My X100T goes with me EVERYWHERE.

Regarding the Olympus M4/3 system. I have an E-M1, and four M4/3 lenses, including the really nice Panny 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 G series zooms. While I think the camera body, build quality, and performance is excellent, as are the lenses, the truth of the matter is I hardly ever shoot with it. Why? Because the Fuji X-camera image quality is so much better. The images from the Olympus are truly excellent, but the images from the Fuji are magical. Also, the E-M1 doesn't have the auto white balance performance of the Fuji, and the noise performance at higher ISO can't compare.

With all that said, I can't think of a reason why you should wait to plunge into the Fuji X-system; I think you will love it as much as the rest of us, and will be really happy with your decision.

I sold all my µ4/3 gear and got a Nikon Dƒ. It's the perfect companion for my X100T (IMHO) - especially if you like old, native glass.
And the best thing is "look ma, no adapter required!" :D

Here is my take on that matter:

I do use a Fuji X-E2 (23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2) system together with M4/3 (Olympus E-M1 together with a lot of glass including Voigtlanders).

Pros and Cons:

1. AF-performance of the Olympus is in another world
2. Video of the Olympus is much better (and IBIS is great for that)
3. Fuji glass is really magical, although not on the level of the Voigtlander Noctons IMHO (but these are purely manual)
4. For the kind of things I take photos of (mostly moving subjects) the IBIS is of little help, the high-ISO capabilities of the Fuji shines here
5. The Olympus is much snappier in operation than the X-E2, but somehow I prefer to shoot with the Fuji subjectively
6. Image quality is a wash: Fuji has better high ISO and better colors out of the box, Olympus has no smearing artifacts when processed through Lightroom
7. The Fuji WiFi functionality is much worse than that of the Olympus (especially for Geotagging - Fuji is almost worthless here)
8. The Fuji has some strange usability things, e.g. I do have to shoot in RAW&JPEG as there is no 100% view of photos taken in RAW only (focus point magnification with the press of the rear wheel - btw great feature), so you can't properly check a photo for sharpness on camera when taken in RAW only
9. Usability of the Olympus seems much more thought of from the engineers than on the Fuji - although I strangely do prefer using the Fuji due to the rangefinder style and the old school operation

All in all, both systems are great choices!
Personally I do enjoy shooting with the Fuji a bit more than with the Olympus, but YMMV...

So what would I recommend:

- Buy the X-E2 instead of the X-Pro 1 unless you absolutely need the OVF, IMHO this is overall the better camera and cheaper
- Alternatively do use your X100T until the X-Pro 2 arrives

As others have said, live with it for awhile. 6 months minimum. After the honeymoon period is over, you may or may not have continued to bond with it. Also, supposedly, some time later this year, the new X-Pro2 should be released which for me would be more desirable than the X-T1 or X-Pro1.

Along with my X100, I also shoot with m43 as well as shooting a full frame Canon rig although I hardly shoot with the Canon anymore. For me, I love both m43 (Olympus) and Fuji as well as my little P&S Ricoh GRD3. I have no desire to purchase another DSLR body. I've even contemplated selling my Canon gear but probably will hang onto it until for awhile.

Here is my take on that matter:

I do use a Fuji X-E2 (23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2) system together with M4/3 (Olympus E-M1 together with a lot of glass including Voigtlanders).

Pros and Cons:

1. AF-performance of the Olympus is in another world
2. Video of the Olympus is much better (and IBIS is great for that)
3. Fuji glass is really magical, although not on the level of the Voigtlander Noctons IMHO (but these are purely manual)
4. For the kind of things I take photos of (mostly moving subjects) the IBIS is of little help, the high-ISO capabilities of the Fuji shines here
5. The Olympus is much snappier in operation than the X-E2, but somehow I prefer to shoot with the Fuji subjectively
6. Image quality is a wash: Fuji has better high ISO and better colors out of the box, Olympus has no smearing artifacts when processed through Lightroom
7. The Fuji WiFi functionality is much worse than that of the Olympus (especially for Geotagging - Fuji is almost worthless here)
8. The Fuji has some strange usability things, e.g. I do have to shoot in RAW&JPEG as there is no 100% view of photos taken in RAW only (focus point magnification with the press of the rear wheel - btw great feature), so you can't properly check a photo for sharpness on camera when taken in RAW only
9. Usability of the Olympus seems much more thought of from the engineers than on the Fuji - although I strangely do prefer using the Fuji due to the rangefinder style and the old school operation

All in all, both systems are great choices!
Personally I do enjoy shooting with the Fuji a bit more than with the Olympus, but YMMV...

<SNIP>

Just a tip: While X-trans processing is much improved in the current, rev 5.7 version of Lightroom, the best RAW conversion of X-trans files is with Iridient Developer version 3 (or Capture One 8), which is VERY good, and works seamlessly as a plug-in within Lightroom. It also renders colors more nicely as well. No smearing problems whatsoever.

Just a tip: While X-trans processing is much improved in the current, rev 5.7 version of Lightroom, the best RAW conversion of X-trans files is with Iridient Developer version 3 (or Capture One 8), which is VERY good, and works seamlessly as a plug-in within Lightroom. It also renders colors more nicely as well. No smearing problems whatsoever.

I've read a lot of positive things about Irident Developer (and I'm also using a Mac) but I really love to organize and develope my photos in Lightroom. I've got an extensive library organized within Lightroom already.

I do use Nik Software occasionally (I've bought it for a good price directly after acquisition through Google), but even though it's integrated well into Lightroom it is a bit cumbersome. That's why I only use it very rarely, although I can achieve fantastic results with it. Im pretty sure that it would be the same with Irident Developer...

I've read a lot of positive things about Irident Developer (and I'm also using a Mac) but I really love to organize and develope my photos in Lightroom. I've got an extensive library organized within Lightroom already.

I do use Nik Software occasionally (I've bought it for a good price directly after acquisition through Google), but even though it's integrated well into Lightroom it is a bit cumbersome. That's why I only use it very rarely, although I can achieve fantastic results with it. Im pretty sure that it would be the same with Irident Developer...

I use Lightroom to organize and archive my images as well. Everyone has their own definition of what "cumbersome" means, but I find that converting a "keeper" using Iridient in Lightroom takes about one minute or less. Well worth the effort for maximal image quality. Brian also also has specific sharpening algorithms for X-trans black and white conversion. Isn't a portfolio quality image worth a little work? ;)

Point being that concerns about not being able to get images of maximal quality from x-trans sensors doesn't really apply anymore. There are at least three excellent solutions available.

I use Lightroom to organize and archive my images as well. Everyone has their own definition of what "cumbersome" means, but I find that converting a "keeper" using Iridient in Lightroom takes about one minute or less. Well worth the effort for maximal image quality. Brian also also has specific sharpening algorithms for X-trans black and white conversion. Isn't a portfolio quality image worth a little work? ;)

Point being that concerns about not being able to get images of maximal quality from x-trans sensors doesn't really apply anymore. There are at least three excellent solutions available.

Well stated. Admittedly, I'm still using LR4, but the majority of the images I tend to shoot with my X-trans camera don't fall into the scenarios in which there can tend be issues. However, if the next iteration of LR doesn't compare somewhat favorably with Iridient, I'll probably just pony up for a license from Brian.

Back