Film Agfa Kills Vista

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I has a sad. Better check my fridge & eBay to see what the going rate is.

Agfa Vista Film is Dead: Report

I had no idea it was actually manufactured by Fujifilm. Which explains a lot; they seem intent on running down their film portfolio.

eBay seems to have blocks going relatively cheap from China. Anyone sourced film from there? In the US, similar Kodak stock is priced much cheaper which is interesting.

Wonder if there is a film-price tracker out there? Googles... doesn't look like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read about it; Fuji C200 had already be gone around here, so that was sort of in the making ... Very irritating - this (and C200) was my favourite cheap colour film. That said, I was planning on going primarily b&w anyway. This'll speed things up as far as said decision is concerned.

M.

Was poking around eBay and China seems to be well stocked still - this place seems to be selling ISO 200 film from Fuji, Kodak & Agfa in 10 packs (scroll half way down down). Makes me wonder if theres a plant over there still churning this out under sub-contract for the domestic market.

It's tempting to try and suck up remaining stock - but my fridge is already pretty loaded ... Still, not to worry. As long as Kodak Gold 200 remains available, the spot is filled - if for a bit more money and with clearly different charateristics (much warmer tones). Anyhow, this kills one of the most affordable *and* enjoyable films on the market for good in the long run. Churning rollls with my AF-C1 will not be as serenely careless as it is now.

M.

Sad to see Agfa Vista Plus go, if you live in the UK it was great value from PoundLand with 24 Exposures for a Pound, although they stopped selling it a few months ago. Luckily I have around 50 in the freezer, but to be on the safe side I've just brought 15 Fuji C200 from here 15 x Fuji C200 35mm Print Films - Exp 02/18 | Film | 15 x for my freezer. Out of date in Feb but should be ok for sometime if it's kept cold.

This is a shame... When I restarted using film frequently, I did it partially because I could purchase locally 3 Agfa Photo Vista 200, 36 exp., for 5 Eur. Then this changed to 2 C200 for 5 Eur. Now all gone...

It is a film I quite enjoy, it has nice balanced colors. I even prefer it to the slightly more expensive Superia 200.

It sounds corny but I enjoyed Vista because it had a weirdly nostalgic 60's & 70's vibe to it. Superia would accurately capture what you put in front of it. The Kodak equivalent was pretty similar.
On the other hand maybe I just shot Vista in older cameras with simpler lens formulations (older Trips & Pens versus the AF F100 or Hexar) ?

Ah well, hopefully Agfa stay in the B&W film game. Maybe someone will license their Vista process off them and re-release it.

Back