Ahoy there !

Livnius

Top Veteran
Name
Joe
Hi SeriousCompacts folk, thought I'd finally wander in and join the extended family.

My name is Joe, some of you guys may already recognize me from sister site mu-43.com where I've been a member for about a year now....so many familiar names and faces here.
You guys look to have great community here and after seeing Amins prompt on the mu-43 front page I thought now would be as good a time as any to join.

A little bit about me. I live in Melbourne, Australia and work as a carpenter.....what I do for enjoyment though is hiking, fishing and persuing my passion of 15 years...snowboarding, a passion which I've been fortunate enough to enjoy over much of the world :) ....and then there is photography !!! About a year ago I decided I wanted to buy a more capable camera than what I had, a cheap $100 used Canon P&S in full auto mode. None of my friends really take photos or have any interest at all, so I was always the guy who took shots. I guess I just had way too much fun looking through old images from trips away and various events and something clicked, I wanted to take this a 'little' more seriously, so I set aside a budget of about $350 to get a 'good' camera and started researching....man did I get confused in a hurry. "Aperture, ISO, metering, DOF ?? ...huh...what the **** ?" Then I came across an LX5 during my research and it ticked quite a few boxes, I didn't buy it but I think it was the LX5 that lead me to the m4/3 system and before I knew it.....I was the proud new owner of a GF1 + 20mm 1.7 ...I guess I blew the budget by afew bucks....haha...little did I know that in the space of the next 12 months I would blow that initial $350 budget by many multiples ....GF1 > GX1 > EM5 & 20/1.7 + 14/2.5 + 25/1.4 + 45/1.8 + 7-14/4 + 14-45 + SMC Takumar 50/1.4 !!!!!!! see what I mean :eek:

...I should probably fess up and also mention LR3 > LR4 + the complete Nik Software coleection + 24" Dell 2410 :redface:

So yeah, things went kinda crazy VERY quickly.....but, only because I fell in love with taking photos, editing photos, talking photos in a much bigger and deeper way than I could've imagined.
These days I often find myself on site building a roof but lost in my daydreaming of adventurous photographic road trips.

I am an enthusiast and as such, have a hell of a lot to learn and have always really appreciate the many patient and generous members on the sister site who have so kindly offered me an opportunity to learn....I hear you lot are the same here :) I work a long 6 day week and shooting time is at a premium, but when I do go out and shoot I usually like to post something....please feel free to both compliment and offer critique, I promise to take all compliments with good grace and to accept all criticism with an open mind.

Thats about covers it for an introduction about me and how I got here.......I'd like to share some of my images taken over the last year on my crazy m4/3 adventure. Some of you guys I know have seen these images on the sister site, but some of you probably haven't and I'd like for these images to put things in context and to help you know me a little better. I don't have a style or a genre that I stick to, I just shoot a bit of everything....it may always remain that way but perhaps one day I'll be able pin point exactly what i want to shoot, until then, I happy go out and snap anything and everything when I get the chance.

All taken with either the GF1 or GX1 and a variety of lenses....and a selfy is a good place to start :D

Canada-Me-Goggles.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Falls_Creek_034.jpg

Melbourne-3.jpg

Canada-_cross_the_line.jpg

Canada-_Piste_bar.jpg

Canada-_strip_minimal.jpg

melb_4-3-12d.jpg

Canada-Charlie.jpg

degraves_c.jpg

degraves_e.jpg

melb_11-4-12.jpg

melb_11-4-12b.jpg

Canada2012-206.jpg

Hey Joe! Really good to meet you. I'm Heather, I live in Scotland, I have a similar work pattern to you except my feet are generally on the ground. I'm a vet (thus the cryptic name). I take pictures of stuff too, I'd LOVE to be able to do justice to our landscapes but have not yet worked out how. I'm getting closer though. I seem to be alright at flowers, which I find somewhat contrary as I'm pretty rufty-tufty.

I really like the pictures you've put up for many reasons. I look forward to seeing more over the next while.

Hello and welcome Joe and thanks for the intro.

Excellent shots - some great viewpoints and angles - particularly like the smoker and the gents loo. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi Joe, welcome. I've just only joined the forum recently and found it very friendly and helpful. Look forward to seeing more of your pictures

Wow, and welcome! I really like your post processing style, Joe. I'd love to emulate it. Your fourth and fifth are my two favorites, however I really like them all very much. Glad you came over from the dark side...uh, I mean from "across the hall".:D:drinks:

How many Aussies do we have here now?!

Hey Joe,

How are you brother? Mate it's been too long.

Not been over at mu43 for a while...still wearing the black arm band since the passing of my PL25 and PL45.

You'll enjoy it over here I reckon.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Joe!!

Awesome to see you here!! Great intro and look forward to seeing you here more often. You'll love the comraderie here at SC.

@Everyone who hasn't seen Joe's photos before -- aren't they great?

@BB -- Joe does do wonders with PP too! I like to rave about his series of photos on a father-son fishing trip!

Thank you all for the warm welcome...it's always great to walk into a friendly room.

@BB....glad you like my post processing, I realize for some they may be over-cooked, but I have so much fun with trying get my images to convey a mood or idea I have in my mind.

@Mark....yeah been a while. Although your photographic journey has taken an alternate route of late, I think our destination is the same and it'll be nice once again talk photo talk with you.

@armando.....thank you for the kind words. So when's the big day mate ? :)

@Nic.....that last shot is of Vancouver on a cold night in February just passed. I actually really love that shot but perhaps not for obvious reasons. I love it because I had initially rejected it ! ....it didn't make my final cut and was left to whither away on an external Hd to perhaps never see the light of day again....luckily though, I spent an evening just going through my Snowboard trip images....when I saw it I felt it deserved it's chance to be seen and enjoyed.

Thanks again guys.

Back