Ai generated photos / art

Are you sure that what's going on in our brains (and what's called thinking, reasoning, feeling) are algorithms?
Let's not mistake the map with the territory, or the finger pointing to the moon with the moon.
The definition of algorithm is broad enough to cover my intent. Most people apply the term to computers. The term was around long before computers.
Deep down- there is some logic to people's illogical decisions. All they need to do is think about it.

I started out as a psychology major. My Dad was a PhD clinical psychologist. He also was a university advisor. One day he came to me with the Classified ads with two pages for engineers another two pages for computer professionals and ONE ad in psychology, required a PhD psychologist with Ten years of experience in armored warfare. My Dad actually qualified for that job, but did not apply for it. He made his point, changed my Major the next day. We had a lot of interesting conversations on why HAL had a breakdown.

The problem with Internet forums- it's just like taking a 2D Fourier Transform of an Image and posting only the Magnitude. All the Phase Information is lost.

Last edited:
And just to remind you: puzzling together and calculating databases has absolutely nothing to do with creativity in the sense of Shakespeare, Beethoven or Picasso. To create from nothing - without databases - would quickly show the utter poorness of this kind of AI.
True geniuses are rarer then you think. All of us are trained in some database, we learn since the day we were born by others past experience and knowledge gathered over years, decades, centuries or even millennia.
We are, almost, always influenced by our surroundings, events and people. Shakespeare, Beethoven or Picasso have used what was literature and art in the past and made them their own version. Life itself is an endless derivative.

There have been many flaws in the various AI generators. Apparently hands/fingers are a particularly big problem for many of them. At least some of these will likely be overcome at some point, and it may become difficult to differentiate captured vs generated at some point. But as you alluded, what is generated is highly dependent on what the model was trained on, so I agree these will continue to fall short in originality or creativity. A good analogue (no pun intended) is generated music. Amazing software has been around for decades now that can generate surprisingly good quality music. Yet people-generated music has not vanished. To be sure, there is plenty of bad music around - lol - but there are still good musicians putting out original music or creative covers.

Much of the worry about AI comes down to your view of the nature of existence, in my view. I do not believe machines will become living beings, but just as we put limits on potentially dangerous machines we need to consider the same for the programming that goes into AI. Which is not an easy thing, either.

:rofl: on the ruby slippers. But NS - Neural Simulation? Maybe I am having a brain drain but I am not clear on what NS is versus the AI juggernaut.
Last week the AI program for Midjourney learned how to render hands properly. ChatGPT had a weakness for math but in the last few days different API have been created where you can add-on ChatGPT's capabilities and now it can do math at a good level.
And more add-ons are being worked on that can fix many flaws or limitations to Neural Met Learning Models.

Humans had over 200.000 years of learning and teaching each other to the point where we are today, any program will take time to get to a similar level and with the advantage that it can learn faster and at an enormous scale. Wether sentience is the ultimate goal or just an endless sprint to perfection, software and hardware programming will surpass human capabilities in the future.

I've been doing this for a long time. AI does not worry me.
ME_IN_MY_CAVE2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A local newspaper reporter gave ChatGPT a task. It was to report on two local events. All the details were on Google, websites of the organizers, info from press releases, etc., etc. Quite a lot of materials.

What came out was so poor and full of faults (she shared it with the readers) that her judgement was at the point: no danger for her professional group at all.

Only did PDP-10 in emulation.

Now, PDP-11s, VAXEN, AViiON, SUN ... those were the machines I loved and miss. Still have a dual CPU Sun Blade 2500 Silver & Solaris 10 for fun. Need to get it the last 8 gb ram it can take, the LISP system can use it ;)

AI then, AI now; as I said up thread, the quality of the input will determine the quality of the output. The only thing new is that more people have access to it

My sympathies. There still exists 36 bit lisp code out there that caused the VM for the Symbolics Lisp Machine port to have to wait for 64 bit CPUs because the hit on 386 class 32 bit cpu's was too great. The DEC Alpha was the first one they could use and by that point the AI winter had destroyed their market.

Can run it on 64 bit Linux nowadays if you ... ah... know where to look but Symbolics will never be free due to it being tied up by death and probate :(

Medley/Interlisp OTOH was open sourced by the inheritor so it's fully legal. Medley Interlisp Project

A local newspaper reporter gave ChatGPT a task. It was to report on two local events. All the details were on Google, websites of the organizers, info from press releases, etc., etc. Quite a lot of materials.

What came out was so poor and full of faults (she shared it with the readers) that her judgement was at the point: no danger for her professional group at all.
Funny, Walter, because that's exactly how I feel about most human journalism and other media reporting ... :( .

Funny, Walter, because that's exactly how I feel about most human journalism and other media reporting ... :( .
What help is there with almost all quality media going downhill because they they have their eyes on circulation figures.
We are a minority seeking for quality in a desert of low(est)-level mass media. Good news John: there are still a few left.

What help is there with almost all quality media going downhill because they they have their eyes on circulation figures.
We are a minority seeking for quality in a desert of low(est)-level mass media. Good news John: there are still a few left.
I draw the line when journalists cannot write a correct sentence, or spell, Walter!

Teachers who cannot read, write or spell, see nothing wrong with children who cannot read, write and spell!

Our publicly funded national broadcaster, the ABC, has taken 4 years to 'discover' that Australia is either first or second in the world for installation of "green" energy generation. It has held that position for 4+ years now. All the while, bashing the Liberal federal government for doing nothing on this front.
It has also been quoting 2016 figures when the installed base has been increasing fourfold, year on year, since 2016 ...

As far as rooftop solar goes, there has been a scheme in place for longer than that where the federal and state government each contribute 25%, and the property owner pays the other 50%, either as an interest free loan, or upfront.

The now previous Liberal government also instigated Snowy Hydro 2, which will be one of the biggest pumped hydro electricity generation systems in the world, capable of maintaining supply to about 3.7 million premises for about a week if all our other generating capacity suddenly fails, including rooftop solar ...

IOW, outright lying for political purposes. The ABC is widely recognised by everyone except itself as having a strong left wing/"green" bias ...

Is it any wonder that I do not trust either journalists, or the media at large?

Last edited:
I’ve been ok with some discussion in this thread, but my primary reason for creating it was to share AI images. Unfortunately, it has turned almost entirely into a discussion. Even worse, the most recent posts aren’t even about AI.

Because of this, I want to limit discussion to constructive comments about submitted AI images. Any other discussion should be taken elsewhere. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.

Here’s a couple of owls in tree images that were fun to work on.
A023633F-21F8-429A-881A-3B835A14C150.jpeg

90D5D6EB-9AD6-48E3-B4F4-91275711C58B.jpeg

I’m always trying out different styles/types of images and find it an enjoyable way to spend some time. It would be really nice to see what others here are working on, as well.

Back