Airport security, a rant.

Progresjon

Regular
Name
Charlotte
So, I just cleared security. With newly nuked film. Because even when I politely asked if they could check it manually I had two options, either send it thru x-ray or open the film and expose it to light because «we can’t see what’s inside». This is the first time I have met this attiude on a airport, elsewhere they have accepted the factory sealed foilpacks. Just needed to vent. Now on to my flight and trip with hopefully not to bad film.

So, I just cleared security. With newly nuked film. Because even when I politely asked if they could check it manually I had two options, either send it thru x-ray or open the film and expose it to light because «we can’t see what’s inside». This is the first time I have met this attiude on a airport, elsewhere they have accepted the factory sealed foilpacks. Just needed to vent. Now on to my flight and trip with hopefully not to bad film.
Even back in the 1990s, airport x-rays didn't have any effect on ASA 400 film I mostly used then. You shouldn't need to worry about it.

Thanks for support, guys. I just can’t get over that they wanted to expose my unused film to light. But, arrived my destination and will enjoy my vaction, maybe even share some pics ;)

I recently passed through Phoenix airport, they had a sign at security that film was safe below 800. It's the only airport security I've gone through EVER that I can recall having a sign about film. I didn't have film with me though so can't confirm if true but 400 is probably the max I'd ever use/take with me.

Which airport / which country was this?

This is a topic of heated discussions in other forums; there are some film users that reported that they had their films x-ray'ed with the new CT scan machines and they didn't notice any ill effects on their pictures.

I have never come across a CT scan machine but all my films have been x-ray'ed at least twice (incoming, outcoming) and never had any issues. I use 400iso films.

Norway, Oslo Airport Gardermoen.
That's such a nice airport with what I'd call a laid back atmosphere. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

The worst experience I've had was at Paris CDG. I was pulled aside and literally a forensics team with white gloves searched my Billingham bag very thoroughly before wordlessly waving me through. Awful. I thought I'd miss my flight

I recently passed through Phoenix airport, they had a sign at security that film was safe below 800. It's the only airport security I've gone through EVER that I can recall having a sign about film. I didn't have film with me though so can't confirm if true but 400 is probably the max I'd ever use/take with me.
There was a sign at ONT (Ontario California) while I lived there that said iso 1600. I don’t know whether they had an X-ray or a CT scanner in place…I just remember seeing the sign often, as I flew quite a bit for a few years. I suppose there may very well be differences from airport to airport, unfortunately making it difficult for a hard and fast rule.

Film being safe up to ISO 1600 in multiple passes thru Security X-ray has been for decades the official position of the film manufacturing companies. CT of checked baggage has always been warned to be harmful to film.
However, testing has shown damage to all film thru the newest Security CT of carry-on baggage, which is being rolled out around the world.
While Heathrow Airport security has long ignored requests for hand inspection thru Security X-ray, they have adopted a new procedure in recent times for hand inspection of film in carry-on baggage going thru the new Security CT machines.
Some deliberate exposure of film thru Security CT has been reported to have caused no visible harm to the film; but there are reports of harm shown...so jury is out for carry-on film being harmed or not being harmed!

While Heathrow Airport security has long ignored requests for hand inspection thru Security X-ray, they have adopted a new procedure in recent times for hand inspection of film in carry-on baggage going thru the new Security CT machines.
Ilford was trying to setup some sort of training with Heathrow security staff. I hope this has happened.

Back