Alcohol and Vinyl

BB......that Audio Quest brush is exactly what you need to remove dust from your grooves. Frankly, I never recommend using ANY liquids to clean LPs unless you have a proper vacuum to remove ALL of it. if you add liquid to dirt what do you get?

OK, I will send away for that Audio Quest brush or something similar...of course checking with you first!

Gotcha on the mud combo.

However, what does one do if there is something stuck to a record? I don't believe I have anything like this but I remember in the olden daze...

Heather, you're lucky I'm married......or I'd be crossing the ocean......you've hit 3 for 3 on some of my favorites. The Annie Ross LPs are pretty scarce (I assume you don't need any of the L, H & R LPs....right?). Giuffre is easily one of my fave horn players.....there's a couple in print I can order and some originals turn up from time to time. The "Duet" LP shows up about once a year....I don't have one now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

and to share the joy of Jimmy Giuffre, hears an old TV clip of "The train and the River".....sublime improvisation....at times the players seem to read each others minds.....they really seem to share a mind at times.....
(apologies for lo-fi sound and picture...check out the album version for better fidelity.....and great solos as well)

Jimmy Giuffre The Train and the River

This is the kind of thing I used to have during my truly groovy years: Amazon.com: Crosley Record Cleaning Kit: Musical Instruments

So this is not good?

Those are the ubiquitous brushes. If they're super dirty and cleaning them dry doesn't take care of it, then you've got nothing to lose. But seriously try to just clean them dry when you can. You add liquid to the mixture and just push that dust and dirt down into the grooves.....you can never get it ALL out. But sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ah Luke, you are the first person who I've spoken to who has even heard of Duet. I was 16 when I first heard it. It took a while to understand it properly and to stop expecting June Christy to be Ella Fitzgerald. When I was 19 I ordered a copy of my own, it took months to import it. It is sublime.

I'm not fussed about Lambert Hendricks Ross on vinyl, but would be good to get some of the solo stuff. Not the Gerry Mulligan one. I've been listening to "Gypsy" a lot recently. Only just found out today that the alto is Herb Geller. Awesome.

Annie was planning a trip to Scotland again later this year, hope she comes! Joe Temperley is visiting next month for the Edinburgh Jazz Festival.

After seeing the film Jazz on a Summer's Day I went out and bought a load of Jimmy Guiffre, Train on the River is the best!
Indeed, it is lucky I am married.

Thanks of the jazz ideas... need to move beyond my Dave Brubeck and Miles, huh? :D

A couple of new albums that are on heavy rotation for us right now:

Danger Mouse & Danielle Lupi - Rome
sort of a soundtrack for a new spaghetti western with italian musicians (that worked on the original movies) and Norah Jones and Jack White on vocals. just a great one to have going on in the background... my mother-in-law, not a music hipster by any means, even commented that she liked it a lot.
[video=youtube;BHDrWfndze0]

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin'
the vinyl sounds great... not an official video, but this is the title song:
[video=youtube;VRUyc64esjU]

Back