Alcohol and Vinyl

krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
Mojo Record Bar | Sydney | The Thousands

corner2-590x440.jpg

(photo from The Thousands - Sydney City Guide)

Thank god my local record store doesn't serve beer... I would spend way too much time and money there. Even worse if the camera store tried a similar strategy. Liquid courage would have me coming home with a Nikon d800e!

Luke - how easy is it to get a beer/wine license in Milwaukee? :D

We do have a cool cafe/restaurant/bar right next door. Plenty of movers and shakers come in Sunday after having a couple Bloody Mary's with their brunch and spend too much. Alcohol really does have the side effect of making people spend foolishly. That place looks pretty cool.

Almost makes me wish I still had my parents "Victrola".;)

That looks very cool!

I have lots of records from the old musicals, Christmas records that belonged to my parents...to my first purchases in the later 1960s up through the 1980s. I have culled the heard quite a bit, however.

I've kept my vinyl, but unfortunately have not owned a turntable in years. I am ashamed to admit that I have opted for convenience over sound quality and mostly listen to mp3 files streamed from my iMac to my stereo through an Apple TV. Shame on me...:(

I'm awaiting my first phonograph in about 15 years. It's a restored 1950s RCA Orthophonic 6HF5. This one to be exact #2 1956 RCA 6HF5 New Orthophonic High Fidelity Record Player Phonograph - YouTube Hoping to start collecting old jazz records.

Are you spinning older vinyl? Newer?

That is a great looking table! Gotta love all that wood.

I am spinning a mixture of new and old vinyl. A lot of the indie rock artists I listen to are releasing albums in vinyl with cool artwork and good quality (180g, heavy).

Definitely take Luke up on his offer... think original releases are the way to go if you can find a decent copy (be careful with Ebay as condition seems to be optimistic!).

There are some re-issues that are available new that are pretty good. You just have to check out the reviews first to make sure they did a good job and the master tapes weren't too crusty! Acousticsounds.com does a good job with remaster/reissues, but they can be a bit expensive.

I have lots of records from the old musicals, Christmas records that belonged to my parents...to my first purchases in the later 1960s up through the 1980s. I have culled the heard quite a bit, however.

BB, you should check out Ebay, etc., to see if any of your records are worth something. Okay, a bit of a longshot, but sometimes there are some gems in those old collections. When my grandmother moved to a small apartment, she gave me her old records. There were a bunch of sealed 70s country albums from Columbia House. Hilarious because the vinyl was soooo thin, it was impossible to tell if there was really an album inside the sealed jacket.

Luke, guessing these are worth about 12 cents each? :D

I've kept my vinyl, but unfortunately have not owned a turntable in years. I am ashamed to admit that I have opted for convenience over sound quality and mostly listen to mp3 files streamed from my iMac to my stereo through an Apple TV. Shame on me...:(

There is nothing wrong with digital convenience, with audio or photography! :D

We have a digital setup as well - running into the stereo from an iMac (using lossless files). We do tend to listen to the turntable a whole lot more when we are home, though. There is something fun and tactile about spinning those big black discs and checking out the album artwork. My turntable actually needs you to spin the platter up to start by hand (it then maintains the proper speed), which adds a bit of fun to the experience.

You're letting Antonio off the hook too easily Kyle. He shoots FILM for goodness sake! I'd like to amend your statement to "there's nothing wrong with having digital convenience in addition to your analog playback". ;)
:laugh1:

Really!

I am so surprised Antonio - you being the musician you are and not being all that young.:D Of course as someone on the later side of their mid fifties, I'm not sure what my criteria for "old" is. 60 is the new 30, after all. I have my Denon quartz turntable, tuner and even a tape player(cassette NOT reel to reel:tongue:) that I bought about 1981 or so...and all still works beautifully.

What I do need is a good record cleaning "brush" - not a brush, you know what I mean...it was wood on one side and a kind of velvet on the other... Luke, do you know what I mean?

That wood glue idea is absolutely insane! The glue barons will be rich.

BB, what you are referring to is the old classic Discwasher system. They are making them again. I'm not a fan of them, but they work as advertised. I can let you know next time I have them in stock if you like.

I'm not familiar with the Spin Clean system. Unfortunately, there's not a lot I CAN recommend. A good carbon fiber brush is essential and inexpensive. And if you have a high end rig like yours Kyle, you absolutely owe it to yourself to buy a VPI record vacuum or a Keith Monk's machine. Everything else is merely a band-aid in my opinion.

A friend of mine had a highend audio store (unfortunately, had to shut down the retail side when the economy went south) and he twisted my arm until I went home with a VPI cleaner. I run all vinyl through it once as it comes through the door and then use a dry brush when I play them. I probably need to go back through and wet clean some stuff that has been on the shelf for a while.

I hadn't heard of Keith Monk's machine before... looks pretty sweet! Crazy how these cleaners are more expensive than entry turntables.

Back