Fuji All about the Fuji XF 23mm F2 and 50mm F2

Love the B2B idea. Contemplating the 23mm and wondering how to bag it with existing combo thats a great idea.

Great article, but now I want one....

Last edited:
The insulating tape is just to keep it tidy and to avoid dust traps. The clever bit, apart from strong glue, is a) use an old SD card in between to fill the void and b) when you bring the two together, have lenses in place so you can line them up.

Not a lot of opportunity to goof off this weekend, but I just had time to take the dog for a walk as night fell this evening...
Stained class.jpg
...with the 23 attached to my X-E2. This is at ISO3200. I'm impressed...

another review, from lenstip. what i like about their review is that they used an older generation body, the x-e1. if the lens is a good performer on that body, then i would assume it would be as good, if not better, on a newer body. i certainly hope that this kind of performance will also be on the upcoming 50mm f2.. :)

and their conclusion:

Pros:
  • handy but solid and weather-resistant casing,
  • excellent image quality in the frame centre,
  • sensible image quality on the edge of the frame,
  • negligible longitudinal chromatic aberration,
  • low lateral chromatic aberration,
  • lack of distinct problems connected to spherical aberration,
  • practically zero distortion,
  • slight astigmatism,
  • silent, reasonably quick and accurate autofocus.
Cons:
  • noticeable coma,
  • very high vignetting for RAW files.
Small, shapely, weather-resistant, optically good, with interesting optical parameters – can you ask for more? Of course grumblers might carp about high vignetting or coma levels but fighting those aberrations would also mean bigger physical dimensions of the tested lens so removing one of its more important assets. I guess such a price is worth paying in order to enjoy the Fujinon XF 23 mm f/2 R WR as it is. After all the instrument is a joy to use and completely recommendable.

Fujifilm Fujinon XF 23 mm f/2 R WR review - Introduction - LensTip.com

Surprised about the coma comment. I'm not seeing that at all. On the raw, they don't as far as I can see actually say what converter they are using. I use the in-camera one and wouldn't say I'm seeing anything untoward on that front. It's all very well saying "independent converter" but we all know very well that they vary substantially in their ability to get the best out of Fuji raw files.

The only time I was able to see it was...

1. In the corners
2. With tiny pin-pricks of light, ala stars, on a pure black background

I never got it with anything as big as a street light. This goes to illustrate two things, I suppose:

1. The photos above wouldn't necessarily have shown it if the lens does it, and
2. Boy does it not matter anyway, unless you're going to take star shots.

Good points. I've managed to get it before, with street lights, but on a frosty, not a misty night. And yes, in 99.9% of real world use, it doesn't amount to a whole hill of beans. ;)

Shardana is a cracking Italian restaurant, by the way.

Those are diffraction effects. they result from a strong light source in this case the Sun, being diffracted through a grid, in this case the tree branches. they're far from lens specific (and can be quite attractive!)

Back