Fuji All about the Fuji XF 23mm F2 and 50mm F2

Looks like it. It is on the 60mm. I currently have the 56, the 60 and the Zeiss Touit 50 so I feel a bit over equipped in this focal length area. However I am tempted to offload the 60, rely on the Touit for macro, and go for this a) for the weather resistance and b) for the improved AF performance. The 60 is first generation Fuji X and feels it sometimes. Problem is I feel I will miss the slightly greater reach of the 60. I love the holy trinity of 35-50-90 (23-35-60) for travel and documentary purposes. Maybe when my funds recover from the 100F...

I don't think I'm up for this 50mm F2. Like a great many Fuji users, I make use of legacy lenses, the most popular focal length of which is of course 50mm, in my case the Takumar F1.4, a fifth of the price of the new 50mm. I have great fun with it on my X-T1, despite the fact that in FF terms, 50mm is a bit of a 'meh' focal length. It's charm, including manual focus actually compensates for that. That's not the case with the new 50mm. The 23mm is a different story, that's surely one to get.

When I was first using digital it was the (wait for it) the Pentax *ist D. It was tidy little APS-C camera and a favorite lens was the old FA50 1.4. When I moved to mu43, I found myself with the 25 and 45 which straddle this (equivalent) focal length. The difference between FF 75 and 90 is just enough to be noticeable and it's been a while since I've used any FL in the 70+ mm range since i'm not much of a zoom guy. Maybe I'll try shooting a bit with the Pen and the kit zoom set for FF 75 just to see if I can remember my old way of seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the thing is that 50(75) is a bit of a meh focal length in the great scheme of tbings. I've had one before - a 75mm Voightlander in Leica Thread Mount (LTM) which I used on Leica M6 and M7, but it is not quite far enough removed from the 50 in terms of fov. I described it at the time as a long standard rather than a short tele.

The Zeiss Touit that I already own earns it's keep by being a macro lens but I carry it as part of a 2-lens setup (with the 27mm) rather than as a part of a holy trinity.

I would agree somewhat with your assessment, Bill. I tend to think of 50mm on an APS-C camera as a short portrait lens, as the FOV is sufficiently narrowed that it's not really suited for landscapes except at longer distances.

the fujifilm event on sep 7 is just a bit over a week away and it seems they will also release an updated lens road map:

Fujifilm Lens Roadmap Updates to be Announced Soon - Fuji Rumors

the 18mm f2 mark II is what interests me, and here's what i want for it:

- weather resistant like the new f2 lenses
- same af performance as the new f2 lenses, but similar if not same output as the mark I
- still has an aperture ring
- almost pancake form factor, better if they can keep the same dimensions as the mark I
- 46mm filter thread, to make it the same as the 50mm f2 (the other f2 lenses have 43mm)
- priced around 399 to 449 usd

Last edited by a moderator:
Back