Fuji All things being equal - Fuji XF 35mm f1.4 or Zeiss Touit 32mm f1.8

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
I have the opportunity to choose between these two lenses and price is not a deciding factor; not because I'm rich (quite the opposite) but there is a used Zeiss going for similar money as a new Fuji 35/1.4.

I've always been a fan of Zeiss - ZM on film. 2/3 of a stop is not a clincher for me. Loved previous Zeiss rendering and used to especially like how they handled flare; so hoping the Touit might do the same. Be using this on an X-Pro so am a little concerned about the Zeiss hood getting in the way of the OVF….though I'm sure I could screw-in an aftermarket 52mm shade…if needed. I've also seen steady praise of Fuji's 35mm.

I assume I cannot go wrong either way, but wonder if I should jump on the Zeiss while I can? Keen on your opinions.

I did a comparison a while back. Basically: Touit is sharper at wide apertures, Fuji is sharper stopped down, IMO, Fuji has better bokeh and is, of course, faster. If you desire cross frame sharpness at f/1.8, then the Zeiss is probably the best bet, otherwise, I think the Fuji ticks more boxes for me.

http://admiringlight.com/blog/zeiss-touit-32mm-f1-8-planar-vs-fujifilm-fujinon-xf-35mm-f1-4/

Thanks Jordan. Yours was one of the first, and repeated, reviews I read. I'm still unsure as there is a certain something about the CZX1.8/32 image rendering that really resonates with me.

…then again, it may just be nostalgia for a simpler time when my kit was nothing more than a Leica M2 and Zeisses 35 (c-Biogon) and 50mm (Planar).

Couldn't help myself. I hardly slept for thinking that someone else might bag the bargain. I jumped on the CZX1.8/32 first thing this morning and it should be here by the weekend. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I chose the 35 as there wasn't a zeiss at the time then again, it's cheaper which i like the most :)

Today i took a snapshot for my facebook page...wide opwn aperture priority +1.3 EV.

en1np.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I’ll throw in my 2 cents

I tend to be more keen on a lens’ character. Either one really is a winner I reckon you should go for your preference or the lens whose rendering your prefer, sorry I know I'm being quite vague here but the 2 lenses are almost identical, and with everything being equal the only thing that separates them is whether your prefer the Fujinon rendering or the Zeiss rendering.....and again they're both really good.

Back