All things Hi-Fi and Audio - show and tell and discussion

Playing with my new 75mm 1.8 tonight while listening to some records.
IMG_3231.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3229.jpeg

At long, long last my 15-inch coaxials are back in the living room. And now finished with a mahogany veneer. Admittedly they look nicer now than they did when they were just unfinished birch ply boxes. It did take a while, though. I bought the drivers and a friend of mine made the boxes back in 2015, IIRC. They've been in use all these years as "prototypes". Remember that saying about temporary solutions becoming permanent? It's not out of thin air where that idea has come from.

DSC01983-1-LR_bs.jpg

At long, long last my 15-inch coaxials are back in the living room. And now finished with a mahogany veneer. Admittedly they look nicer now than they did when they were just unfinished birch ply boxes. It did take a while, though. I bought the drivers and a friend of mine made the boxes back in 2015, IIRC. They've been in use all these years as "prototypes". Remember that saying about temporary solutions becoming permanent? It's not out of thin air where that idea has come from.

View attachment 451847
Nice work on the veneers! Looks nice!

ES, my 15" Tannoy Coaxials have been in "temporary" boxes since the early 1970s ...

The boxes are 1.5" chipboard, weigh around 130 pounds each (with the speakers and crossovers, ~30 lbs each). They aren't downright ugly, but not pretty either.

I have always had the genuine Tannoy design for their transmission line enclosures, but have never gotten around to making them.

In a 6,500 cubic foot room, they sound very good.

Back