Fuji Alt hood for Fuji 35/1.4

wt21

Hall of Famer
Just wondering -- does anyone use an alternate hood for the 35/1.4? I'm thinking maybe a screw in hood?

I prefer the factory hood -- pretty low profile.

I think the factory hood is even more appreciated if you use an X-PRO1 because it's designed to minimize viewfinder obstruction.

What are everyone's problems with the factory ones, just out of curiousity?

I prefer the factory hood -- pretty low profile.

I think the factory hood is even more appreciated if you use an X-PRO1 because it's designed to minimize viewfinder obstruction.

What are everyone's problems with the factory ones, just out of curiousity?

It doesn't bother me either but it seems like the squashed shape bugs a lot of people.

My only gripe is the little rubber cap used with the hood falls off all the time, and if you use the pinch cap it'll fit but it's awkward to get on and off.

It doesn't bother me either but it seems like the squashed shape bugs a lot of people.

My only gripe is the little rubber cap used with the hood falls off all the time, and if you use the pinch cap it'll fit but it's awkward to get on and off.

I don't bother with a cap on that. I agree that rubber thing is a waste of polymer, lol.

I hate the hood for the 35. It's ugly, first off, but the big thing is that it's not reversible. I hate non reversible hoods. I've been underwhelmed by all the Fuji hoods, actually. The 60 hood is very well made, but simply HUGE, the 14mm hood doesn't fit tightly and mine cracked shortly after getting it (though this is one hood I use)...the cheapo 16-50 is actually the best with regards to hood so far. Reasonable size, and mine fits snugly on the lens.

I hate the hood for the 35. It's ugly, first off, but the big thing is that it's not reversible. I hate non reversible hoods. I've been underwhelmed by all the Fuji hoods, actually. The 60 hood is very well made, but simply HUGE, the 14mm hood doesn't fit tightly and mine cracked shortly after getting it (though this is one hood I use)...the cheapo 16-50 is actually the best with regards to hood so far. Reasonable size, and mine fits snugly on the lens.

That's a fair point, I forgot about the non-reversible quality. Fortunately it's a shallow hood so I don't mind; I just leave it on the lens in the bag etc. But I do usually prefer reversible ones for storage space savings.

Agreed on the 60mm also - that thing is really ungainly and heavy.

The 14mm and 18-55 hood works fine for me, it fits well and I can share the same hood between both lenses. I'm surprised yours is loose, but maybe there's some variation much like how folks have reported varying experiences with the aperture ring on the 14mm (mine is so loose it's basically free floating).

Ugly matters not to me -- and I don't find it so anyway. But it fits in my bag as it is. I understand your problems with it though now.

It's a crap hood. Full stop. From the rubber cap to the loose bayonet which means it twists and intrudes into the picture, plus non-reversible...! I have a straight metal hood and cap, but to be honest I rarely use it anyway. If I had an X-Pro I'd have a vented one, for sure.

Sent from another Galaxy

It's a crap hood. Full stop. From the rubber cap to the loose bayonet which means it twists and intrudes into the picture, plus non-reversible...! I have a straight metal hood and cap, but to be honest I rarely use it anyway. If I had an X-Pro I'd have a vented one, for sure.

Sent from another Galaxy

It's not crap. Fuller stop, lol. I see Will Crockett and others shooting with his on. He seems to know what he's doing. I understand YOU don't like it, but that doesn't make it crap -- it just makes it crap for you.

LoL!

Ok let me put it another way. The hood as designed is not fit for purpose under the extreme conditions I expose it to - taking the camera with the lens attached in and out of the bag, hanging it over my shoulder and walking about with it ready to raise to my eye and shoot. In each of those use cases the cap falls off with monotonous regularity and the hood twists from true.

How's that? ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

LoL!

Ok let me put it another way. The hood as designed is not fit for purpose under the extreme conditions I expose it to - taking the camera with the lens attached in and out of the bag, hanging it over my shoulder and walking about with it ready to raise to my eye and shoot. In each of those use cases the cap falls off with monotonous regularity and the hood twists from true.

How's that? ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

Lol! Well said and fully understood!

Attachments

• 4157daLpR3L._SX342_.jpg
    4157daLpR3L._SX342_.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 413
Back