Fuji Alternative Cases for the X100

petemasty

Regular
Have just purchased a Zorki 6 case. It was rather cheap, in good condition, and by all accounts my X100 should fit rather snugly in it (I have checked the dimensions).

When it arrives I'll (hopefully) be able to tell you how good it actually fits. £15. Not bad for a leather case.

Are there any other old rangefinder cases out there that may fit the bill?

Well the camera case arrived. The X100 did fit rather snugly inside but it did require a few adaptations. Decided this wasnt the best option for a cheap solution for a protective case. So I've gone for a neoprene lens sock. The camera fits in it easily, it protects the unit very well indeed, and best of all, when you take the camera out you can scrunch up the sock and stick it in yer pocket. £12 from Warehouse Express. The manufacturer is LensCoat by the way.

I'm not keen on most camera bags, especially the boring black ones and I especially dislike bags with the maker's logo prominently displayed. What I wanted for the X100 was a small bag that could hold the camera, with hood, batteries, cards, a pen, a small notebook (A5 - 8" x 6" approx.), sunglasses and phone. And it had to look good. I tried all the usual suspects among camera bag makers, but nothing seemed to match what I was looking for.

A few weeks ago I was passing a leather goods and luggage store and went in on an impulse. What I came out with was a small leather bag (cloth inside) shown in the attachments. Cost was €79 including tax.

One zipped pocket on the inside (batteries, cards, pen, etc.), two open pockets on the inside (hood when not attached, keys) and one pocket on the outside (phone). Adjustable strap, very comfortable, soft but durable waxed leather with an 'aged' look. I put some dividers from a camera rucksack in to provide additional padding. If I put the X100 in vertically, there would be room for an X10 beside it :)) It has two buckle straps (held by magnetic closures), and I discovered when I got home that I can slip a monopod into them.

I encourage those who can't find the right bag to think 'outside the box' and drop in to their local bag store.

Attachments

• Bag interior.jpg
    Bag interior.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Bag with X100 and Gordy strap.jpg
    Bag with X100 and Gordy strap.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2,275
  • Non-camera bag.jpg
    Non-camera bag.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,365
Nice find Tam. I'm a huge fan of bags that look like.....well...a bag, and not a camera case.
Curiously, do you usually store the Fuji with the hood on? The dimensions look quite similar to the little Domke (F5XB) that I use for the X100 but my hood never leaves the front.

Now we are talking! That is a beautiful bag, Big Tam! Hmm, a local bag store... I will have to drive far afield to find anything along these lines...for we are steeped in the "fashion" world around these parts. I honestly thought I'd found a good alternative made of leather (via mail order) but it was too heavy for me after being loaded up. I shall keep searching as you have inspired me!:drinks:

Big Tam's bag is awfully nice looking, for sure. But its a pretty big bag for just the X100 and without dividers and padding, I'm not sure I'd want to carry multiple cameras or much other stuff in there with it. When I'm taking out JUST the X100, I have one of the Black Rapid SnapR cases that doubles as a case/sling strap and can carry extra batteries and such very comfortable, protects the camera and allows VERY easy access to it all on the integrated sling (and its barely bigger than the camera). When I'm taking the X100 and one other camera, I take a Domke F-5Xb which is quite small (probably similar size to that nice leather case) but can separate stuff (and is actually all I need for a nice little m43 travel kit with a couple of extra lenses). And on the rare occasion I want to carry EVERYthing, I take the Domke 803, which isn't much bigger (looks like a small messenger bag) which can take an m43 body with several lenses, and can fit the X100 one one front pocket and the GRD3 in the other, and is STILL quite reasonably small. And neither of these bags look much like camera bags either, being brown waxed cotton and pretty nondescript.

To each their own, but that's a combination that works for me.

-Ray

Ray, I have a similar position. If I am taking nothing but the X100, it's on a Gordy sling strap attached to the tripod mount. If I need some other stuff (like my charger or a paper notebook), it's the bag above. For the netbook plus SLR plus kitchen sink, it's a Kata DB-455.

But I prefer light :))

Back