Alternatives to Flickr? And testing a share from Devart.

OK, I know about lots of places... Photobucket, 500px, Picasaweb, Photoshop.com, Minus... What else is out there? Of course there are other alternatives which are only for sharing an image, not really for the community aspect... so imageshack.us, imgur.com etc, and then theres places like smugmug and zenfolio which are hideously expensive if you arent actually working in the business... and if you aren't actually working...

So what else have people found that is acceptable?

In the meantime, I havent ever shared anything from my Devart account so I'm going to test that right now to see how it goes... The direct link didnt work, so I'll see how the embed goes (the code looks horrible).

[edit] OK, Devart is out, I guess. I dont want all that crud around my photo

[edit #2] After posting, of course I did another search and found a really good wikipedia article with lists and comparisons of features... much crud, but some promising.
List of image-sharing websites - Wikipedia

I, like you, have been looking around too quite a while ago, but i still prefer flickr, mainly because of the big community

If you're watching the pennies, Google+ allows you to store ALL of your JPEGs free of charge. The only limitation is that they're stored with a maximum dimension of about 2000 pixels on the longest side. That's a pretty good free off-site backup for disaster recovery. It integrates nicely with Picasa too. I've got 15000+ images stored there already.

Dropbox has been adding more features tailored to photo storage/sharing. Flickr remains as my main public gallery, but I use Dropbox to share with friends and family.

I use Smugmug. Smugmug is Local (San Jose) for me, rarely are they down, family owned, gives back to the community and when you call them, you get a human on the other end. At $55 a year for the basic plan with for unlimited storage, I think it's on par with the competition. I won't use Flickr because of their corporate policies (which I cannot disclose/discuss in the forum because Yahoo's corporate policies are deemed "political").

Gary

I was on Deviantart for years. Still have my stock account up. Not sure why you are getting the border but I'll try a run on your photo real quick here to see if it does it when I do it too. It didn't [I didn't save post], right click on image, copy URL, then use that to hotlink. I assume that is what you wanted to do?

Edit: Also Aminus3 is free hosting, one photo a day blog style. I've had imageshack, photobucket, flickr, 500px, lomography [film only], aminus3, also have used tumblr & wordpress and tried zenfolio & smugmug. I am vacillating on getting my own site since I do have the domain. webhostinghub is a good host, had them briefly.

I was on Deviantart for years. Still have my stock account up. Not sure why you are getting the border but I'll try a run on your photo real quick here to see if it does it when I do it too. It didn't [I didn't save post], right click on image, copy URL, then use that to hotlink. I assume that is what you wanted to do?

Edit: Also Aminus3 is free hosting, one photo a day blog style. I've had imageshack, photobucket, flickr, 500px, lomography [film only], aminus3, also have used tumblr & wordpress and tried zenfolio & smugmug. I am vacillating on getting my own site since I do have the domain. webhostinghub is a good host, had them briefly.

Damn girl, you get around.

Damn girl, you get around.

Indecision is a B%#@h. Deviantart is the oldest acct that is actually still active. My.. indecision where to post my stuff is reason for the rest. At one time I literally was on all those at once but now they are mostly dormant.

I have my own hosting, but like Kerri, I do like the community aspects of Flickr. I may yet change my mind about not paying again...

Re Devart... I've been in for 12 years, never did pay for it, its changed a lot over the years... I joined initially because I was doing "themes" for a Windows pseudo shell program called Winstep (also did some for Litestep, ICQ etc). Then there was a server crash, all my themes got lost, and I never bothered uploading them again, plus, I switched to Mac soon after so it all seemed pointless. Just thought it might be an option.

As far as right click and get the URL, I did that, but when I posted it in my post, it didnt display the image. I thought devart must have some kind of block on it. I'll try again.

I have private hosting at Home at Hamarana but for some reason I just haven't been able to do anything with it... no motivation. I used to have the .com and let it go... and I just havent had the same enthusiasm since then. I have to decide in the next month whether I will continue or not. At $20 a year I probably will, I guess.

[edit] trying the link again
View attachment 5236

And its just occurred to me that I was not logged in, when I attempted it before. I wonder how it works without retrieving with local reference... checking...

another_monochrome_tommy_by_kyte-d3cvct7.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hey All,

This topic is of definite interest to me as well.

I only have a Flickr account and have only uploaded a few photos - otherwise i am basically nowhere online.

I am thinking about doing a lot more online and find it is baffling to figure out what to do.

A favorite photographer of mine for example has the following online presence and maybe some others I don't know of:

Zenfolio (main site)
Google+
RedBubble
Flickr
500px
72dpi

When i think about uploading to a bunch of places - I shudder at the thought of managing all that.

The other issue is what rights are you giving up at different places and how is that changing through time.

Of course the flip-side is exposure...

Any good trust-able sources of info out there?

-Ed-

Flickr seems to be getting a new infusion of attention from corporate. They just release a very good smartphone app and have been making some updates. Flickr remains my main online storage, partially out of habit, and partially because nothing else has really drawn me in. I use the embed codes on the forums that I participate in. It also feeds my blog, which is easy but not perfect because the photos don't end up in feeds. My portfolio site johnmflores.com is also driven by Flickr. The different folios correspond to sets in Flickr, which makes maintenance easy. Whenever I want to change out photos, I just add and remove photos from the corresponding Flickr set and the website is updated automagically.

I had smugmug for a year, it's great, many ways to customise , very good photo quality (nearly no loss) and very fast... and the customer service is superb
However I left smugmug for flickr because I miss sharing photos and a community.

Smugmug is great if you are a (semi) pro to showcase your work imo

I like flickr because it's cheap, has lots of options and tools for cataloging and organising images, and the flickr app garden has spawned lots of third party websites that offer alternative ways to view images as well.

If smugmug had the same community as Flickr i'd go back there (i don't mind the higher price)

500px is nice too, but i have the feeling only real pros post there...

Smugmug is great if you are a (semi) pro to showcase your work imo
Indeed, and if I was going to be heading in that direction, or even if there was more than a passing interest in my "stuff" I might decide to do that (though I would probably choose the more expensive Zenfolio, simply because it has deals with local printers)... But... for me... the point is moot. Flickr is cheaper, its that simple. And if I really wanted a portfolio I have my own domain and hosting at a fraction of the cost of the other two (not unlimited to be sure... but who needs unlimited anyway...)

In the meantime... picasaweb doesnt really suit me for more than posting the odd shot into communities or my timeline, much as facebook used to do. I actually deleted my account from Redbubble because I didn't much like the changed they made over the past couple of years... I did join Photo4Me but its a truly weird site. I find it difficult to navigate so don't do much there. I tried photobucket for a while but found the presentation of photos there to be woeful. No idea what its like these days, havent been back in yonks, except to the intro page. And the rest all seem to be photo sharing sites (i quite like imgur) and there's still nothing that approaches flickr in what it does. But I continue to look.

Back