Am I the only one that does this?

last taem ae lukt ae kud riid raet end spel ...

Sorry
M.
I did not mean to imply that what I said applied to all teachers, Matt.

However, here it seems more important that one holds a Diploma of Education, than it is to be able to read, write and spell.

I have an undergraduate degree, a post graduate degree, and two professional qualifications. I could teach a Dip. Ed. course, but I'll be damned if I will do one! I've retired now, so it's academic for me.

I also taught for a semester (actually a term, but schools don't seem to understand the difference, and routinely refer to "four semesters a year"!!) at a private school about 20 years ago.

However, that Dip Ed is kept as a barrier to entry by the Teachers' Union, to keep otherwise highly educated people out of the teaching profession.

Our major universities have remedial English classes for native speakers who have supposedly satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling ... 😫 😡 🤬 .

And we have a shortage of teachers, even though their pay is within the top 7% of all earners here.

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply that what I said applied to all teachers, Matt.

However, here it seems more important that one holds a Diploma of Education, than it is to be able to read, write and spell.

I have an undergraduate degree, a post graduate degree, and two professional qualifications. I could teach a Dip. Ed. course, but I'll be damned if I will do one! I've retired now, so it's academic for me.

I also taught for a semester (actually a term, but schools don't seem to understand the difference, and routinely refer to "four semesters a year"!!) at a private school about 20 years ago.

However, that Dip Ed is kept as a barrier to entry by the Teachers' Union, to keep otherwise highly educated people out of the teaching profession.

Our major universities have remedial English classes for native speakers who have supposedly satisfactorily completed 12 years of schooling ... 😫 😡 🤬 .

And we have a shortage of teachers, even though their pay is within the top 7% of all earners here.
Good Grief!! That sounds worse than the "Greatest Country On Earth!"🇺🇸 But at least we aren't so foolish as to pay teachers that much💰💰. All they do is educate people 🤷🏽‍♂️. Maybe if they taught people how to sing, or dance, or play sports, or .... oh, wait....

Good Grief!! That sounds worse than the "Greatest Country On Earth!"🇺🇸 But at least we aren't so foolish as to pay teachers that much💰💰. All they do is educate people 🤷🏽‍♂️. Maybe if they taught people how to sing, or dance, or play sports, or .... oh, wait....
The problem is when schools get more money, they somehow just add administrators. I know a few teachers here in the US. They are more frustrated by the ancillary stuff the administrators have them do, so there’s barely time for 2 R’s, much less 3. They also don’t care for being expected to be a parent with limited authority, coaching kids through meltdowns and discipline issues. And these are in “good” school districts. The expression “money doesn’t fix problems, it magnifies them” seems to apply here.

To reply to the OP.

I have the exact same problem with pretty much all on screen communication.

A couple of years ago, I sent a particularly embarrassing mistyped message. The recipient, a very good friend, realised it was a mistake and pointed out the error. (She still teases me about it each time we meet.)

That incident prompted me to try things to be more accurate in my communications.

1. Firstly, I read a few books on grammar to confirm or correct what I thought I knew. I also trialled Grammarly but found it interferes with the flow of writing.

2. I tried different ways of entering text using on screen keyboards and found that, for me, swiping works best, especially when using my right thumb on the phone.

3. Next came trialling various keyboard apps which yielded very little improvement.

4. Finally, after an almost complete switch away from Windows / Android to Apple, I now use voice input recognition wherever possible.

On the Mac the success rate is acceptable, on the iPad it’s OK and on the iPhone it’s very good.

Obviously this isn’t appropriate for all situations and results vary dependent on device. However, this technique works well, for me, especially when coupled with leaving a reply for a few moments then re-reading it and making corrections before sending. It’s also quicker than me typing or swiping.

I use more and more 'voice recognition' and 'read aloud' services at work with Windows/Microsot Office tools. Helps to produce more understandable English (as a not native speaker). I hear grammar and mistype mistakes better than pick them up from the text.
What I'm learning to do is to enhance my texts with ChatGPT. Works pretty well and speeds up a lot of writing work. However, in my casual web browsing, normally I don't bother.

Back