Am I the only one that does this?

Real Name
David
As a parent of young kids, I'm noticing they write similar to their chats from virtual learning and other device interactions. I have to correct their sentences and remind them chatting with emojis is not proper sentence structure! Though this is coming from a Dad who usually writes on camera forums about GAS, the acquisition of all things shiny and loves using emojis! :roflmao:
It's a VERY ANNOYING trend in the business world. And the current state of things with MS Teams, Slack, etc has only made things worse.

Real Name
Andrew L
It's a VERY ANNOYING trend in the business world. And the current state of things with MS Teams, Slack, etc has only made things worse.
Yeah, I think the worst part about it is that someone like me, who appreciates well-written language and strives to write well, is not only more and more in the minority but the level of care that I take with writing (not always here, but anywhere I am trying to write with stylistic consideration and not simply to quickly communicate something) grows more and more unpopular, to the point where what I saw as a superior discipline just won't be worth the extra time it takes.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
In addition to proper sentence structure, I'm also worried that penmanship isn't being emphasized nowadays. In fact the other day, I saw a spray painted tag and I was amazed the tagger had written his name in cursive! If people are going to vandalize public property, at least do it with nice handwriting! 🧐

wee-pics

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
For all of my professional life I was occupied with correcting texts of other people. During the last decade I've realized that the number of words misspelt or sentences that make no real sense because words are missing or the sentence logic has gone to nirvana has increased dramatically. The bad thing about it: in my own written texts (emails, etc.) too.

So I have my texts checked by the automatic correction (in WORD and Mail). But this leads to quite a good number of other catastrophies: spellings and words are replaced by what this insufficient algorithms with micro-dictionaries and -grammar suggest. Sometimes this can be quite amusing, but on the whole it's a bore.
My way out of it: use these tools but check them with each correction they suggest. And make sure the text only leaves me after I have given the final assent. But you won't believe: the errror devil makes sure there are still mipsnirts left.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
I'm kinda' happy to have come across this thread because it annoys me to no end to write something out and then after realize that I missed a few words. It's not a trait that the rest of my family has and it's not something my wife does so I've always chalked it up to a personal disconnect between the speed of my brain cranking out thoughts versus the speed of my typing (even though my typing WPM is high & accurate minus the missing words).

That there are others out there that experience the same thing is comforting.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
The company I work for has adopted Slack as the official IM platform for the company. Globally. All divisions, all countries. And they created an 'all employees' channel.

It just boggles my mind sometimes seeing what people post in there, both in subject matter, especially some of the slang, and with the writing styles. For the life of me I don't get how some folks think that writing like that is is appropriate for the corporate world.

I used to be good writer, not in English though, because I never learned English at school. I only read Time and Newsweek in the back corner of the class (no pun intended towards the fine magazines 😀) and my teacher was happy I let the other concentrate on English grammar. But in Finnish. And the way people now write in the corporate world irritates me a bit, I must admit.

Most of the time at work I need to communicate in English, being part of the global company and international team. Other than writing emails or chat I use tools in Word to help me. One of the best tools is "Read aloud". When letting Word read aloud my text, I usually find the most stupid mistakes. And the new 365 version of Word provides even more tools to help you. However, it doesn't fully compensate the lack of ability, but still. But the irritation walks into the scene when realizing that people who definitely could benefit from those tools doesn't have a glue 🙄