Am I the only one that does this?

As a parent of young kids, I'm noticing they write similar to their chats from virtual learning and other device interactions. I have to correct their sentences and remind them chatting with emojis is not proper sentence structure! Though this is coming from a Dad who usually writes on camera forums about GAS, the acquisition of all things shiny and loves using emojis! :roflmao:
It's a VERY ANNOYING trend in the business world. And the current state of things with MS Teams, Slack, etc has only made things worse.

It's a VERY ANNOYING trend in the business world. And the current state of things with MS Teams, Slack, etc has only made things worse.
Yeah, I think the worst part about it is that someone like me, who appreciates well-written language and strives to write well, is not only more and more in the minority but the level of care that I take with writing (not always here, but anywhere I am trying to write with stylistic consideration and not simply to quickly communicate something) grows more and more unpopular, to the point where what I saw as a superior discipline just won't be worth the extra time it takes.

In addition to proper sentence structure, I'm also worried that penmanship isn't being emphasized nowadays. In fact the other day, I saw a spray painted tag and I was amazed the tagger had written his name in cursive! If people are going to vandalize public property, at least do it with nice handwriting! 🧐

For all of my professional life I was occupied with correcting texts of other people. During the last decade I've realized that the number of words misspelt or sentences that make no real sense because words are missing or the sentence logic has gone to nirvana has increased dramatically. The bad thing about it: in my own written texts (emails, etc.) too.

So I have my texts checked by the automatic correction (in WORD and Mail). But this leads to quite a good number of other catastrophies: spellings and words are replaced by what this insufficient algorithms with micro-dictionaries and -grammar suggest. Sometimes this can be quite amusing, but on the whole it's a bore.
My way out of it: use these tools but check them with each correction they suggest. And make sure the text only leaves me after I have given the final assent. But you won't believe: the errror devil makes sure there are still mipsnirts left.

I'm kinda' happy to have come across this thread because it annoys me to no end to write something out and then after realize that I missed a few words. It's not a trait that the rest of my family has and it's not something my wife does so I've always chalked it up to a personal disconnect between the speed of my brain cranking out thoughts versus the speed of my typing (even though my typing WPM is high & accurate minus the missing words).

That there are others out there that experience the same thing is comforting.

The company I work for has adopted Slack as the official IM platform for the company. Globally. All divisions, all countries. And they created an 'all employees' channel.

It just boggles my mind sometimes seeing what people post in there, both in subject matter, especially some of the slang, and with the writing styles. For the life of me I don't get how some folks think that writing like that is is appropriate for the corporate world.

I used to be good writer, not in English though, because I never learned English at school. I only read Time and Newsweek in the back corner of the class (no pun intended towards the fine magazines 😀) and my teacher was happy I let the other concentrate on English grammar. But in Finnish. And the way people now write in the corporate world irritates me a bit, I must admit.

Most of the time at work I need to communicate in English, being part of the global company and international team. Other than writing emails or chat I use tools in Word to help me. One of the best tools is "Read aloud". When letting Word read aloud my text, I usually find the most stupid mistakes. And the new 365 version of Word provides even more tools to help you. However, it doesn't fully compensate the lack of ability, but still. But the irritation walks into the scene when realizing that people who definitely could benefit from those tools doesn't have a glue 🙄

Just got a gift from my son.
View attachment 381818
Great catch, Walter.
We have occasionally picked up some terrific books as our local library divests itself of BOOKS!! ¯\(ツ)

I have a beautiful set of leather bound Encyclopaedia Britannica that I would love to donate to a school. Not every child in the world has a laptop/tablet/PC!
I can't give them away here ...

In order to clear some much needed bookshelf space, they will probably go into the recycle bin. What a tragic waste! Makes me angry just thinking about it.

Great catch, Walter.
We have occasionally picked up some terrific books as our local library divests itself of BOOKS!! ¯\(ツ)

I have a beautiful set of leather bound Encyclopaedia Britannica that I would love to donate to a school. Not every child in the world has a laptop/tablet/PC!
I can't give them away here ...

In order to clear some much needed bookshelf space, they will probably go into the recycle bin. What a tragic waste! Makes me angry just thinking about it.
There is also a pretty solid mental connection made when reading physical pages and writing by hand (cursive especially) as opposed to screens and typing. I think there's also some studies out there that find that because we can now find out anything we want near instantly, we're retaining less. I don't know how many thousand books Mrs Darmok has purchased, but the kids love em.

There is also a pretty solid mental connection made when reading physical pages and writing by hand (cursive especially) as opposed to screens and typing. I think there's also some studies out there that find that because we can now find out anything we want near instantly, we're retaining less. I don't know how many thousand books Mrs Darmok has purchased, but the kids love em.
Randy, here in Australia, even our journalists (undergraduate degree required) cannot read, write and spell properly. Don't even ask about the teachers!

Teachers who cannot read, write and spell see nothing wrong with children who cannot read, write and spell ... 😠 😡 .

Randy, here in Australia, even our journalists (undergraduate degree required) cannot read, write and spell properly. Don't even ask about the teachers!

Teachers who cannot read, write and spell see nothing wrong with children who cannot read, write and spell ... 😠 😡 .
Yes, it’s not really much better here. At our old place, the wind occasionally blew some kids homework into our backyard. I could barely read it, and it looked like maybe 8th grade work based on the content. We homeschool, and the Mrs is a stickler for good handwriting. Even my 7 year old has better handwriting than her old man did when he graduated college! I’ve been more intentional about practicing my penmanship, and there is a relaxing quality to it.

Yes, it’s not really much better here. At our old place, the wind occasionally blew some kids homework into our backyard. I could barely read it, and it looked like maybe 8th grade work based on the content. We homeschool, and the Mrs is a stickler for good handwriting. Even my 7 year old has better handwriting than her old man did when he graduated college! I’ve been more intentional about practicing my penmanship, and there is a relaxing quality to it.
That's dreadful. My handwriting has always been pretty bad. A commonality to those of us with ADD/ADHD, which effects fine motor control.

Australia is about the richest country in the world, both per capita and nationally, yet we cannot seem to attract the best and brightest to teaching. And everything in the country is "contractors" now, including most teachers and other public servants. Part of the problem, I suspect.

And everything in the country is "contractors" now, including most teachers and other public servants. Part of the problem, I suspect.
Welcome to the worldwide gig economy! I've been an employee, employer and contractor and have to admit that I prefer having the ability to pick and choose who I do work for, plus it has the advantage of turning my profession into more of a hobby since I have our home paid off and don't actually need the extra income.

Hey...who needs to learn to read n write when you have ChatGPT!!
And this is just the beginning!!
Say in 5 [maybe one?] years time.....no need to go on expensive photo trips any more!!
Type in .." Winter scene , Hallstatt Austria, best vantage point over lake, looking north, ten stop ND filter, use Panasonic G9, 8-18mm PL lens @12mm, ISO 200, f/2.8"
Done!!...An award winning shot!!
Think of all the money you will save on airfares and camera gear!!

Back