Amazon (US) is really trying hard to lose my business

Status
Not open for further replies.
This echoes my stance. Online-only shops are a miserable cancer. They very well may kill off every local business, and then they can do whatever they like.....it'll be too late. Browse global and shop local.

Interestingly, through all the items I've purchased via Amazon with reward points and gift cards, a camera has never been one of them. My camera purchases have all been directly through manufacturers or at my local shop.

This echoes my stance. Online-only shops are a miserable cancer. They very well may kill off every local business, and then they can do whatever they like.....it'll be too late. Browse global and shop local.

Hi Luke: I shop locally when I can, and if I can afford it. One of the films I shoot is $10.70 a roll locally and $4.90 through B&H. I could buy one roll at a time from them, pay shipping, and still come out ahead, and of course I usually put in a large order. And some of the chemistry and paper simply isn't stocked locally anymore. Moreover, the two local camera stores don't carry Olympus stuff, except used. I shop with them, but not as much as I used to. The realities of the market have changed what they can offer, very often at substantially inflated prices. 10 or 20 % more is one thing. 200% the price just ain't doable for this poor man.

I do, however, get all my LP's locally (from a place called "We Buy Music" and the local library sales, to be sure), except for a few I had to rustle up over-seas.

Almost all the local bookstores have been put out of business by the big chains (including my partner's), which are now in turn falling like dominoes because of online offerings. Even the used bookstores have been hit hard. Books and records in particular, I like to thumb through and hold before I purchase, but it's getting harder to do. I bought my first three digital cameras locally, but haven';t been able to do so since, and I did get my first m4/3 the E-P1 with a couple of lenses, through Amazon. The "Monde Diplomatique" I mentioned above that I get for Kindle now, I got for years in paper from a Newsstand, across from the University, that went out of business a couple of years ago. taking most access to current foreign journals with them. I don't like it all.

Hi Luke: I shop locally when I can, and if I can afford it. One of the films I shoot is $10.70 a roll locally and $4.90 through B&H. I could buy one roll at a time from them, pay shipping, and still come out ahead, and of course I usually put in a large order. And some of the chemistry and paper simply isn't stocked locally anymore. Moreover, the two local camera stores don't carry Olympus stuff, except used. I shop with them, but not as much as I used to. The realities of the market have changed what they can offer, very often at substantially inflated prices. 10 or 20 % more is one thing. 200% the price just ain't doable for this poor man.

I do, however, get all my LP's locally (from a place called "We Buy Music" and the local library sales, to be sure), except for a few I had to rustle up over-seas.

Almost all the local bookstores have been put out of business by the big chains (including my partner's), which are now in turn falling like dominoes because of online offerings. Even the used bookstores have been hit hard. Books and records in particular, I like to thumb through and hold before I purchase, but it's getting harder to do. I bought my first three digital cameras locally, but haven';t been able to do so since, and I did get my first m4/3 the E-P1 with a couple of lenses, through Amazon. The "Monde Diplomatique" I mentioned above that I get for Kindle now, I got for years in paper from a Newsstand, across from the University, that went out of business a couple of years ago. taking most access to current foreign journals with them. I don't like it all.

I buy (and sell) a lot on amazon. They're just like any other corporation, no better or worse, except that I still do not have to pay sales tax in Colorado, though that's not really a big deal. It is easier to sell on amazon than eBay as the platform is much more efficient--no Paypal to deal with. The talk about amazon not paying tax in different nations is rather comical to me, because they really don't pay any income tax in the USA either.

I miss that newstand on the southside of Central too, from my time living in Albuquerque!

Don't understand what's comical about that?

Well, in Amazon's case they really do not make much money....putting the $$ back into the business and trying to take over the world and all. There are so many tax loopholes, either invented by Corporations, or more often, enacted by different legislatures throughout the world that most income from them is only eventually taxed on distributions (usually dividends and capital gains) at the individual level anyway. There are plenty of corporations that do pay a good bit of tax (here in the US up to 35%) but not as many as probably should.

Call me seasoned and cynical. My workday is spent auditing Corporations as a revenue agent for the IRS (Internal Revenue Service of the US govt). I get to see it all from the inside out. Whining about amazon not paying tax compared to lots of other Corporations is the funny part to me.

But nobody is comparing with other corporations.
"whining" also suggests it is somehow inappropriate to complain about their or indeed any other company's avoidance of their responsibilities.
Should we just smile wryly and let them get on with their shit, then?

I remember my father, a union man to his core, complaining about Walt Disney's labor practices and then whisking us kids off to the next latest and greatest from the iniquitous studio of Uncle Walt. And he always had us watch "The Wonderful World of Disney" Sunday evenings. It's sometimes not easy to give up the offerings of our various corporate villains.

I still think the Banshee from Darbey O'Gill and the Little People was scary as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back