Canon American Four Square Farm House

ryanshoots

Regular
This is one of the things I like to photograph the most. I grew up in a rural farming community and still like to get back to rural areas and drive around endlessly on the back roads and stumble across gems like this. Within a year or so of getting the photo the buildings and trees are gone and it's now farmland.

30394475.b721e15a.800.jpg

Four Square Farm House par RyanShoots, on ipernity

I've written about this house on my blog.
Farm House in the Morning

Old New

I too, like the old houses and barns, that are disappearing from the landscape. And many times, in my part of the country, the old homesteads are just beautiful. But, no one rebuilds there. My wife and I are waiting, for an old farm house, to be remodeled (modestly). This house that is probably over a hundred years old, with 9 ft ceilings and tall windows, sits on approx. 2/3 acre, surrounded by corn fields and HUGE maple trees.
We are moving in, hoping it will be our final dwelling on this earth. (we have moved over 60 times in our 47 years of marriage, and we are trying to "settle down"). :)

From Wiki

The Foursquare was a popular mail-order era style along with the California bungalow. When one was ordered, it came in a boxcar with a book of directions and all the parts pre-cut and numbered for self-assembly. These homes are particularly common in neighborhoods near rail-lines built in this era. The largest mail-order house catalog companies were Sears and Aladdin.

We have so many old buildings in this part of Virginia, many of which are abandoned. I always say I should make a point of shooting them but I usually see them on the Harley and it's not always easy to find a place to pull over on a country road.

(we have moved over 60 times in our 47 years of marriage, and we are trying to "settle down"). :)

WOW! I've only moved a handful of times in my life and was never very fond of the process. Though having moved that much I'm guessing you don't have time to accumulate as much stuff, or at least don't allow yourself to.

Sounds like a wonderful house you're going to be moving into.

From Wiki

The largest mail-order house catalog companies were Sears and Aladdin.

A lot of folks don't know Sears sold houses. I'm too young to have seen that first hand, but I did grow up about 60 miles away from North Redwood, MN where Richard Sears was born and got his start. Here's the story for those that may be interested.

In 1886 Richard W. Sears was the depot agent in what was known at the time as North Redwood. One day a shipment of watches arrived at the depot for a local jeweler who refused to accept them. Instead of returning the watches to the wholesaler in Chicago, the enterprising Sears sent letters to other agents along the line offering the watches at a good price. He soon had them all sold and ordered more. Thus was beginning of what was to become the worlds largest mail order company. Richard W. Sears | American merchant

I too, like the old houses and barns, that are disappearing from the landscape. And many times, in my part of the country, the old homesteads are just beautiful. But, no one rebuilds there. My wife and I are waiting, for an old farm house, to be remodeled (modestly). This house that is probably over a hundred years old, with 9 ft ceilings and tall windows, sits on approx. 2/3 acre, surrounded by corn fields and HUGE maple trees.
We are moving in, hoping it will be our final dwelling on this earth. (we have moved over 60 times in our 47 years of marriage, and we are trying to "settle down"). :)

Witness Protection or Gypsy Gene

Back