Amongst the Cliffs Post Eclipse

merlin

All-Pro
Name
Merlin Emrys
A beautiful mid-winter day for an off-trail hike after a 20-day layoff due to a foot injury. The stillness, solitude, vistas, and soaring rock cliffs were inspiring and expansive, providing a welcome perspective.

As a challenge I only took the 23mm f/1.4 lens. With such incredible subject matter, success was assured!

XT2F1079_lzn.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

XT2F1106_lzn.jpg

XT2F1111_lzn.jpg

XT2F1113_lzn.jpg

XT2F1097_lzn-X3.jpg

XT2F1070_lzn.jpg

XT2F1074_lzn.jpg

XT2F1075_lzn.jpg

XT2F1089_lzn.jpg

XT2F1092_lzn.jpg

XT2F1093_lzn.jpg

XT2F1094_lzn.jpg

XT2F1096_lzn.jpg

XT2F1100_lzn.jpg

XT2F1114_lzn.jpg

XT2F1116_lzn.jpg

XT2F1126_lzn.jpg

XT2F1139_lzn.jpg

XT2F1137_lzn.jpg

XT2F1135_lzn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be traveling with My daughter and son-in law, also a photographer, sometime later this year hopefully, through that area then up through Northern California, Oregon, Washington back across Wyoming, Montana. Don't know how far I will make it as I will only have two weeks but I want to target that area first. retirement will be here in '19 so I will have more time and be alone, so no schedule.. Would love some suggestions. Local knowledge is always the best . Thanks

Bandelier and Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks are two wonderful places to visit, both not far from Santa Fe. Also the Taos area, which is further north, and the Rio Grande Gorge, which is spectacular.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, with lots of great photo ops!

Thank you Merlin. I'm going to check these out. Looks like Sept. Oct. Is their window. If for some reason this trip gets scrubbed I retire in 2019. I am already planning a trip to include as much of the lower 48 as I can.

Thank you Merlin. I'm going to check these out. Looks like Sept. Oct. Is their window. If for some reason this trip gets scrubbed I retire in 2019. I am already planning a trip to include as much of the lower 48 as I can.

Autumn is usually the best season in northern New Mexico, with the golden aspens, warm sunlight, and no monsoon rains. But this winter is fantastic weather-wise, although the drought will have long-term consequences.

Well was informed tonight their schedule has moved up to July, so wont be going with them. Thinking the South Eastern swing on my own in Fall, and the western run in '19. I have also decided to relocate so I have a lot of planning to do in 2 years. I am very serious about moving to a place where photo ops are abundant. I could do Florida, but I already have. I have shot the landscapes, bikinis and beaches. Same thing everyday, different scene. If I was a street photog I would be in heaven. Who knows, might make me learn how to be comfortable shooting street. Just not art to me.

Well was informed tonight their schedule has moved up to July, so wont be going with them. Thinking the South Eastern swing on my own in Fall, and the western run in '19. I have also decided to relocate so I have a lot of planning to do in 2 years. I am very serious about moving to a place where photo ops are abundant. I could do Florida, but I already have. I have shot the landscapes, bikinis and beaches. Same thing everyday, different scene. If I was a street photog I would be in heaven. Who knows, might make me learn how to be comfortable shooting street. Just not art to me.

Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona have photo ops galore, and other than the latter, have mostly excellent weather. The ones in this post are from a trail that begins less than 10 miles from our home.

I am definitely very uncomfortable doing street photography! My subjects never complain or threaten. :D

Yeah, I will never be a street photographer. I just don't have that intrusive gene in me. I'm a very private person for the most part.

To be fair though, the term "street" nowadays has been reduced to just shoving a camera into people's faces or taking photos of people's backs. However if you look at the works of Bresson who pretty much invented the genre, a lot of his shots play on the juxtaposition of his subjects, a play on geometry and shapes, architecture, and landscapes.

If you're on the street, and you take photos, you're engaged in street photography.

Just my 2 cents.

The definition of juxtaposition is my point exactly , "the fact of two things (people) being seen or placed, placed is the key word by the choice of one person, close together with contrasting effect. Contrasting effect to me means out of a possible three things that will happen,two of them are bad. Sorry Merlin, back to your beautiful images.

I still have fond and appreciative memories of the time I spent developing and printing film (B&W). At that time I strongly considered a career in PJ, since I created a number of photo essays, but it was not to be.

Bresson certainly was an inspiration, especially in terms of selecting the decisive moment. But taking photographs of people, unless they are agreed-upon informal portraits, or being asked to photograph events and conferences, is not my cup of tea.

I much prefer nature. The subjects are always willing, do not move about, and never ask for copies!

Bandelier and Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks are two wonderful places to visit, both not far from Santa Fe. Also the Taos area, which is further north, and the Rio Grande Gorge, which is spectacular.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, with lots of great photo ops!

Ditto on Bandelier (cliff dwellings and national monument - Cliff Dwellings at Bandelier National Forest) and the Taos area, including the Carson National Forrest (Carson National Forrest in Taos | New Mexico - on FamilyDaysOut.com) near Taos.

Saul...

Yes I need to start planning this soon. I've always been a camper so was thing of making this a KOA tour type adventure, but I'm going to need wifi so we will see how it pans out. #2 is I want to be able to take my time with stops all along the journey so I don't feel as if I'm going from point A to point B and back, so I will plan on places I definitely want to see and then fill in the blanks along the way so I don't get burned out. I've never kept a journal in my life but this may be a good time to start. I now see I will be by myself which is ok with me, so let the fun begin. Planning is part of it.

Back