An April Photo Challenge?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I realize that we were supposed to have a Singles in April Challenge in a about a week. That's going to be hard for many folks who really don't want to go out and shoot. On the other hand, many of us are getting a bit bored, isolated, cabin feverish, mentally unstable, etc., and some activity might be healthy for all. This might be just the time for our international support group (this forum) to have a little fun. I'm starting this thread to consider possibilities. One overarching idea is that we run this challenge like the January one with looser rules. I'm thinking one idea could be to be a bit more experimental. For example, instead of worrying about submitting a shot today, you could take few days to get a still life just right. Or, try an unusual still life that will take so experimentation. For example, that Uncertainly shot I did for the photo challenge might have been better if I tried it a few (hundred) times more. These are just suggestions. Our goal should be to maximize fun and minimize pressure. What says the congregation?

Last edited:
Sorry, everyone, I was planning to post about a "Single in April" (or, under the circumstances, something less rigid) tomorrow - you just beat me to it.

Anyhow, I'm in, and I'm prepared to organise it.

M.
Sorry. I jumped the gun. Of course, it’s all good since we agree on the nature of the competition. You can certainly run to if you like. I plan to use the X100v.

Last edited:
I'll be in. Haven't decided yet if I'll pick something for a month of product/ still life/ abstract shots around the apartment, or a long lens and a month of shots of the bird feeder from the apartment. :hmmm:

Sorry. I jumped the gun. Of course, it’s all good since we agree on the nature of the competition. You can certainly run to if you like. I plan to use the X100v.
No problem whatsoever; it's just that I had just noticed that I'd almost missed it. I'm grateful I'm not the only one thinking about it - and thanks a lot for helping me put my priorities right.

The last couple of days have been quite taxing - but less of a burden than I had imagined. The challenge will help me (and, I hope, others) to keep our marbles together and don't lose focus.

As to the type of challenge we should run, I'll set up a poll tomorrow; once that's decided, I'll set up the announcement and participants thread. Should all be done by Friday, I guess, so we can all declare our weapons of choice in time :)

M.

I really liked the L. Monochrome.
Me too - especially with the green filter. It has a tremendous array of tones with subtle transitions. So far what I'm seeing from L Mono D is what I actually asked for right after getting the GX85 with L Mono - brighter whites for an overall higher contrast. L Monochrome tends to go too far toward preserving highlights, while L Monochrome D allows for the highlights to get more intense, like high contrast film processing. There's a mix in here somewhere, I think, which will end up looking a lot like Ilford HP5.

I've never participated in a Singles in challenge before - for a large and varying number of reasons, some of which had to do with my own writing deadlines - but this year is a time of both challenges and changes - and I'd like to finally dive in. I'll be using my Olympus Pen-F with its DJI-branded version of the Pana/Leica 15mm f/1.7

Back