An EDM club in Sydney

See now I would've thought this remix is techno-ish. Or does Trance fall under the larger umbrella of Techno?

I would say that it falls into the same category as techno in as much as Nirvana falls into the category of Rock. I won't say that the two genre's won't intertwine at times, because they will.
Some folks will lump House, trance, and even Acid Jazz into the Techno category because they all have certain similarities, especially in the early days. In the late 80's and early 90's techno covered House music to a certain degree. Frankie Knuckles is probably the father of techno and House music today is probably the closest, more relating to Disco than anything. But shortly after that when House, Trance, Breakbeats, and drum and bass got big, Techno as a genre sort of became irrelevant unless the music just couldn't really fit into another category. The branches of electronic music became extremely divergent into the late 90's. Historically Techno is that father of many of the different genres of electronic music today. There is very little pure techno these days.

Electronic just over the years hasn't been pouplar enough for people who really don't listen to it to lump many genres into "Techno" when most who listen to various forms, would say that "electronica" is probably a more accurate label to encompass all forms of it.

The trueist form of Techno I'd say being spun today is Carl Cox. Sasha can spin some pretty close to techno stuff too. Progressive Trance is really close to techno as well, but fundamentally the biggest diffence is that it has ups and downs where Techno is more nuanced and doesn't have a big lead up in it like progressive trance typically does.

This is the closest thing to pure techno around. And those who really dig techno will argue that Trance, House, and other forms are very different than Techno.

I've lost TWO decades? This is worse than I thought :/

I was in a music shop a few years ago and two young 'street' or 'rap' looking dudes walked in and wandered into the records section. One of them pulls out a Public Enemy record and asks the other guy who they were. I was very surprised and realised how old I was. The other guy explained that PE was a good band that was famous a while ago and that they were very good. Geeeez... they were the seminal 80s east coast rap group, Chuck D was a very political figure in the young black community at the time and his rap was often very controversial in a smart political fashion unlike NWA which was pretty much controversial because of their incendiary lyrics. I suppose they also had a message in their songs but it was not quite as intelligent and eloquent or political as the way Chuck D did it.

So anyway it made me feel old when I heard that little exchange between the two young rap dudes.

Yeah, Flash was, but I realise I was thinking of Melle Mel really ... something about lines ... hmmm ... anyway, where was I?

Carl Cox? Bless 'im, yes, he was a house man really. Back In The Day. I probably have a cassette of his somewhere.

The thing about NWA and especially Straight Outta Compton, but also much of the '80s and '90s hip-hop, is ... these are fantastically funky sounds, whatever the lyrics are doing, the beats and the rhythm sections are simply amazing. Perhaps because they are played by humans rather than programmed? (Nothing wrong with non-human rhythm sections by the way, but I don;t think they sit as well with singing or rapping to create an integrated sound that swings. SWINGS? I'm going to stop now)

11468099795_2d9a66fefa_z.jpg

What instruments? It was all sampled programmed stuff.

Naaah, have a reslisten to The Resurrection or something - that's a real drummer and a real bassman.

Whoever vandalised that sign is a genius. A genius showing his or her age, but a genius nonetheless.

I'll have you know that this was not an act of vandalism, but one of Artistic Activism.

Plus the genius (you are definitely right about that) stuck the alteration on with Blu-Tak and took it off again after he made the photo ....

Am watching your link as I type this.

I would've thought that Disco was the father of all this, isn't that where we first hear that distinctive dance-type 1-2-3-4 beat?

From the dancing side, sure. Much of the house music out there is a blend of disco and funk. House came out of Chicago and Techno out of Detroit. Funny thing is that many of the producers/djs back in the late 80's and early 90's would travel between cities to hear the differnent styles going on, so both in the end influenced each other. I think fundamentally, House music typically has more R&B flavor to it where techno doesn't. Techno generally has a little more industrial flavor. A dead giveaway for a House song is if there are many repititive hi-hats throughout.

Trance, Dubstep, Breakbeat, and the many other plethora of sub-genres don't sound anything like House or Techno.

Keep in mind that lots of electronic doesn't have that 1234 beat either. Dubstep, Drum and Bass, and Breaks have widely different beats, and both were heavily influenced by variations of techno.

Carl Cox? Bless 'im, yes, he was a house man really. Back In The Day. I probably have a cassette of his somewhere.

11468099795_2d9a66fefa_z.jpg

Carl Cox mixes everything from House, Techno, and Tech House(go figure that one out!). Much of the stuff lately from him has been downtempo Techno. I remember back in the late 90's seeing him and he was all house though.

Back