Fuji An interesting insight into the journey from DSLRs to Fuji X

He's not working with the most recent model and, for that reason, I think his thoughts may be a bit out of date.

I've had the X100s for a little over a year and quite like it. I recently bought an X-T1 and have spend a pretty intensive couple weeks with it. My thought, when I was considering it, was that I might be able to use it as a backup to my D800 and sell my D700. I'd get an adapter to use my Nikon lenses on it. It would lighten my kit bag a bit and provide me with a good, small body to use for street/travel.

I'm not ready to let go of my D700 yet. The X-T1 is a very good camera and, like all the X-Trans cameras, produces excellent pictures. In terms of the quality of the photos, I have no qualms. But there are some aspects of it that are giving me pause and making think really hard before deciding to sell the D700.

Very good insight. We get so obsessed with the latest and greatest gear, the fastest and most comprehensive system that we overlook how we use our gear. The X-Pro 1 I have on the way is a big technological step backwards from the Sony A6000, but I want to take a more deliberate approach to my shooting, something I miss about my old Leica M. Very few people truly need 36 mega pixels, 10 FPS, etc .., but we want it (myself included) because of what it CAN do, not what we really do. In general, a D800 photo on my iPad isn't going to look much different than a Coolpix photo (from the same conditions in the same spot). It is in extreme shooting environments or uses the gear makes a difference, and the reality is most of us don't work in those extremes.

He's not working with the most recent model and, for that reason, I think his thoughts may be a bit out of date.

I've had the X100s for a little over a year and quite like it. I recently bought an X-T1 and have spend a pretty intensive couple weeks with it. My thought, when I was considering it, was that I might be able to use it as a backup to my D800 and sell my D700. I'd get an adapter to use my Nikon lenses on it. It would lighten my kit bag a bit and provide me with a good, small body to use for street/travel.

I'm not ready to let go of my D700 yet. The X-T1 is a very good camera and, like all the X-Trans cameras, produces excellent pictures. In terms of the quality of the photos, I have no qualms. But there are some aspects of it that are giving me pause and making think really hard before deciding to sell the D700.
I have also recently started to wonder if I should switch my Nikon FX setup for X-T1. My main gripe with D700 is that the autofocus accuracy could be better with f/1.4 primes (35mm and 85mm). I don't need AF speed. On the other hand, 70-200/2.8 works every time but sometimes f/2.8 is not enough and I'd like to use fixed focal length lenses.

How would you compare the AF accuracy between X-T1 (with f/1.4 primes) and D700 if you have been able to shoot with them? And could you tell the reasons why you don't want to sell your D700?

Thank you in advance!

After reading the article on Doug's blog + a gazillion other internet posts about raw converters, I have a question/s. Does anyone know what converter/s Fuji uses to assess their raw files? In other words, what is baseline? I assume Fuji's 'test squad' is well pleased with the files in the lab. I'm just curious about what processes they use to come to their final product. Have Fuji spoken out, joined the discussion, or written about converters?

Back