An Old Town and a New Camera, Part 1

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I decided to combine a small project with a shakedown shoot for the X-S10 w/16-80 f4. It's been a while since I did a walking tour of Buena Vista, a town about the same size as Lexington. It's six miles east and right at the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains. It's the blue-collar and red-voting counterpart to the white-collar and blue-voting Lexington, and it's been hit harder over the last few decades by the loss of manufacturing to other countries or to automation. The downtown area has too many empty buildings and shops but you can still see the classic architecture of the late 19th century. I was wandering through the downtown area.
BV0 welcome.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BV1 smalllibrary.jpg

BV2 house.jpg

BV3 wall.jpg

BV4 horse.jpg

BV5 bike.jpg

BV6 bride.jpg

BV6a bride.jpg

BV7 biglibrary.jpg

BV8 selfie.jpg

BV9 alley.jpg

BV10 window.jpg

BV11 apartment.jpg

Last edited:
@drd1135
Nice gallery showing a smallish town's tough times.
You mentioned the 19th century architecture... the stepped rooves, on induetrial and residential buildings, are curious. Any guess as towhat or why???

@drd1135
Nice gallery showing a smallish town's tough times.
You mentioned the 19th century architecture... the stepped rooves, on induetrial and residential buildings, are curious. Any guess as towhat or why???
Many of these buildings were built in the 19th century. I’m not quite sure where this style came from, but I expect it reflected what they were able to build with the available materials. I’m just guessing, but i think it wasn’t until late in the 19th century that steel became commonly used as a structural component in buildings. Most of these buildings were made out of bricks and stone, so they have more of a stacked appearance. This is just my speculation however.

Last edited:
Back