Leica An oldie and goodie -- the Luminous Landscape review about Leica M240

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Apr 2, 2018
Finland

If I am not mistaken, this article raised a small storm back when new. Mark Dubovoy dared to suggest that a Leica could match Nikon D800E!

M240 is such a good camera. It's kind of great that the model went underappreciated because that meant I could afford one then. ;)

Digital Nikon cameras have been the synonym for paramount image quality for a good decade. In particular my experiments with Nikon Df (which is around the same age as M240 give or take a year) do show how the better sensor results in a better shooting envelope.

But the difference isn't that huge in the end.

It is also reassuring to know that I enjoy the sensor benefits of Nikon Df and that I can get those benefits in Leica land as well, in the form of M10R (or SL/SL2 alternatively). My only limit--my wallet and my foolish notion of having things like "savings".

akuiper

Regular
Dec 6, 2019
I promissed my wife not to buy the M10-R. I told her when buying the M240 too that this was the last one I'ld buy. Ever. Honoust.
- But I am scheming to sell my very good M240-P, and add the few thousand in cash needed. :doh:
No I am not thinking (well, I did, for 10 secs) about selling my Summicron 35mm first version, I gave it a CLA by Leica itself so it is in top shape, and I'm fond of it.

The M240 is very good. A must for those seeking high resolution. It really brings out the ultimate in details.

But. But. Because I have lots of old (Russian) glass, the new sensor probably serves me better with its less or no color cast for my strange (Russar 20 . . ) wide-angles. Already, the M240 is better than the M9 in that respect.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom