Film an(other) experiment with reversal

pdh

Legend
A further experiment.

Very insufficient first development (probably too much hypo in the first developer), plus - I think - only partial fogging in the second exposure has led to extremely thin negatives with some Sabatier effect.

In addition, the emulsion has apparently reticulated (normally almost impossible to do with modern emulsions these days); I'm guessing the bleach was too strong for this particular emulsion.

They are probably unprintable in the darkroom, and the scans had to be heavily post-processed to produce anything

However, liked these three ...

8926128037_06770b82fb_z.jpg

20130602-5 by _loupe, on Flickr

8926126267_9be9fd75fc_z.jpg

20130602-4 by _loupe, on Flickr

8926121929_f89200b27c_z.jpg

20130602-1 by _loupe, on Flickr

Mark, I'm experimenting with reversal processing - which is the production of a positive transparencies (i.e. slides) from ordinary negative materials.

In this case, I happened to be using a C41 film for a bit of fun, as I can get rolls of "Agfa" branded (but really Fuji C200) film for a £1 a roll.

It enables me to keep the cost down while I get familiar with the manual process itself (it's a little bit of a faff, but not difficult once you have all the chems - see http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applicat...le=FINALPDF_Reversal_processing_Factsheet.pdf)

The plan is to produce transparencies from 5x4 negatives, and I've had partial success with my first attempt at that.

I'd be surprised if I could reproduce exactly this effect a second time, as it was a result of a chapter of accidents; but it should be possible to create the Sabatier to order - after all, Man Ray and Lee Miller were all over that in the 1930s!

Just for completeness, here's quote from Ilford's web site giving the gist of reversal:

HARMAN TECHNOLOGY said:
Reversal Processing

Reversal processing is used to produce positive transparencies from conventional black and white negative films. It may also be used for copying negatives.

The method starts with conventional exposure of the film and development of the negative image as usual. At this stage, the residual unexposed and undeveloped silver halide in the film represents the positive image that is the desired end point: therefore the remaining stages in the process involve removal (bleaching) of the original negative image, fogging the film to expose the remaining silver halide, and conventional development and fixing of this second, reversal, image.

A further experiment.

Very insufficient first development (probably too much hypo in the first developer), plus - I think - only partial fogging in the second exposure has led to extremely thin negatives with some Sabatier effect.

In addition, the emulsion has apparently reticulated (normally almost impossible to do with modern emulsions these days); I'm guessing the bleach was too strong for this particular emulsion.

I'm sure I know some of these words...

Back