Leica An update on my rangefinder

the lenses have no issue at all and the shutter curtain is intact just sticking. I only see the one shutter curtain pull back from left to right looking at the back of the camera. looking at a diagram it seems like there's a smaller one that's wrapped up around the drum on the right side, I could be wrong though.and he said $95 for a CLA, not counting any parts that may need to be changed which I'm thinking maybe a couple of Springs, hopefully.

You got a huge bargain and you could sell it as-is. If you're not going to use it eBay would be a good place to unload it. The condition is excellent++ and whoever buys it can deal with the repairs.

Cosmetic condition is the biggest factor in price, and your shutter problems are probably minor. Don't mess around with it, just take good photos of it and put it up for sale, you'll easily make a couple of thousand dollars.

as is I doubt if it will bring a couple of thousand dollars, not saying that it won't but I seen some on eBay in better condition going for $1500 but with the higher serial numbers.someone said put a drop of oil down the shutter release, yeah like that's what I'm going to do, you can just feel that the camera is dry. the L seal is still intact and the screws at the bottom plate still have the black lacquer paint so no screwdriver has ever touched them.

I've done a lot of camera and lens repair on my workbench...

I'd send this one to a pro. For the price paid, I'd repair it and use it. If you do get the Leica itch again, the next one will cost much, much more. have the camera CLA'd- the lenses are good, use it then decide if it is for you. You will get more much more than what you paid+ the CLA after using it and deciding that it's not for you. Of course- you might love it, and then show everyone that you have EX+ M4 and 2 lenses, all for $400 or so- the price of the CLA+ $150.

oh believe me I have no intentions of touching this camera as I know my limitations. with a 7 to 10 day turnaround its worth taking it to him which is by appointment only.as far as the curtains are concerned he said they moved back at the same time and since I only seen one channel for a curtain to travel in I wonder if they're sticking together and moving back at the same time? it seems that there's only one bar for the transport but it could be two stuck together.

I am taking to him next month,$25 bench fee plus the $95 is still worth it to me and he may have the parts there to fix it since he has the same model.Probably,if thats the case,reattach the curtain or if its damaged,replace it which will be Im guessing about $200.

i think one curtain is off and not working at all.and from what I've seen of the m4 2, it looks like my front curtain is not working at all and it's not in sight and the one curtain coming from the right side of the camera as looking at it from the back is the one moving as I cock it.which I assume is my closing curtain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back